BALLS Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyfire

Piled Higher and Deeper
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all-

Just wanted to post some stuff about my school's BALLS project here. It's a 3" all fiberglass minimum diameter vehicle, to be powered by a NASSA M2500 motor. We're hoping for about 25,000 feet and Mach 3. Electronics are an RRC<sup>2</sup>X courtesy of MissileWorks, and an ARTS accelerometer courtesy of Loki Research. We'll let you guys know how it flies :)

Attached picture is of the vehicle sitting next to my L850W motor casing... the M2500 is twice that... Oh geeze that's a lot of motor for that rocket :rolleyes:

sweet....wow....that is alot of motor. L850 huh?....I will have to get one of those

Now why couldn't I do something like that when I was in school? That's awesome! When is Balls?

BALLS is September 19-21. I've also whipped up an "artist's rendition" of liftoff -- took a photo I shot last year of a rocket on a NASSA motor and stuck the 3D shot from RockSim over it. You can see it on the club's website (https://www.smes.org/rocketclub/projects.htm). The Gates Brothers have also been kind enough to let us borrow their rail. :D I'll keep you guys updated as the rocket is finished out and flown.

cool, You have inspired me to build a large rocket for my school. Unfortunantly it will have to be big because we dont have the recovery area out here in the East

We may plan a large HPR launch in NH for this winter, when the lakes freeze over... L777 motor anyone?

We....jeez I am outta the loop here...doug doesnt tell me anything anymore. i would love to be a part of it. I need to plan a rocket for school. Need a better propellant. That ST...just not cool enough for me. :D

Green Gorrilla is cool...super cool. The only thing cool about ST is you can get it in the form of J500s ;)

I don't like GG that much... I liek ST better because its louder, more powerful, ignites instantly, and looks like a real rocket :D. I don't know, I guess it's just me.

ST is cool I was just kidding around and and L is and L you know. So when are you gonna get some?

That is definantly an awsome looking flame. I think it depends what you are looking for in propellant; Flame, smoke, scale, sound or power.

the ST is good for scale, flame, sound and power.

IMHO anyway :D

Skidmark anyone? Or what about Sean McAndrew's sparky propellant? https://www.vahpr.com/T5/h5_k900_sparky.mpg :D

Back on topic, I just finished the shock cord mount assembly. Here's a photo of it. I cut out 2x strips of 0.093" G10 and laminated them together. Then I sliced 1.5" off a coupler and glued the strips in. A U-bolt provides the mount point.

nice job with the attatchment

Skidmark is an awsome propellant. It would be much better if it were certified though :(

Dude, that is going to be awesome! I cant wait to see that fly! If anyone is lucky enough to get a liftoff pic, they are going to be seeing a whole lotta mach diamonds!:D See ya at BALLS!

...this sucker is now painted and finished, and the electronics bay is all set up. All that's left is a little polish on the booster and then off to BALLS! :D You guys'll DEFINITELY hear about it, one way or another... I've got lotsa stuff riding on board for electronics including a telemetry/GPS package from Jeff at Loki Research. If this thing shreds, at least we'll know how high and fast we are going when it happens! ;)

Updated the site: https://www.smes.org/rocketclub
Direct link to the project: https://www.smes.org/rocketclub/projects.htm

Looks great David! I can't wait to see it fly in only 9 days!!!!!:D :D :D

WELL...

We showed up at BALLS to clear, calm weather. It stayed that way all weekend. We prepped the rocket Friday night, and got it on the pad Saturday at about 11:00. Counted down, pushed the button, and Les' motor lit up. The thing HAULED off the pad, and at 1.8 seconds, the upper airframe let loose and the booster flew off horizontally uprange about 2 miles. We got all the electronics back and the payload section, but the upper 2 feet of the booster was filled with Black Rock dirt. Other than that, the rocket was in great condition, considering it impacted the lakebed at more than Mach 1. We just gotta cut off two feet of tubing and splice two feet on, and it'll be good as new, only with a shorter motor mount... oh well, I guess less power is a good thing at the moment :D

Kudos to Les for his great motor, Jeff @ Loki Research for the ARTS accelerometer which gave us the data, and Jim @ MissileWorks for letting me ruin one of his personal RRC<sup>2</sup>X 40K units. We'll be trying again soon with an Aerotech L850W!

Attached is the liftoff photo.

I always felt an 8 foot flame looked about right behind a 7 foot rocket ;)

Here's the impact point. I thought it was hilarious. Overall, this piece is four feet long, minus the metal motor casing sticking out the back.

Here's me and my friend Paul with the motor before installation. That's Jerry McKinlay's case with Les Derkovitz' propellant. Awesome motor! I'm on the right, Paul's on the left, you can see the rocket on the prep stand behind me.

Sorry to hear about that. I looks like it was an aweson liftoff though.

So how was Balls? Anything interesting go up? Did Rocwizard's project launch?

We also flew my 4" Arcas with a Tony Alcocer Wimpy Red K970 motor. It was a neat experience because we had to core and face the grains ourselves, and then build the motor. It was a perfect flight to 8030 feet, with great dual deploy on the way down. Redemption, I guess :p (Me on the left, Paul on the right)

Back