Big Nuke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
Because of the motor shortage Doug and I have purchased a new Hybrid System. We have all the hardware for the 54mm stuff.

To fly hybrids as you know, a means of ejection is needed so, we bought a altimeter and a 5.38" electronics bay. Since Doug has the Magnum I wanted a big rocket that the Electronics bay could fit into and, the Big Nuke is the perfect rocket for the Job.

have any of you build a Big Nuke? I am also wondering what is the difference between the Big Nuke and the Big Nuke-3" besides one being longer and having a bigger MMT.

I want the bigger Nuke but I dont know if it is a good choice because I dont know if it is to heavy or not worth the price

Also, I found them at low prices from performance hobbies...is it advisable to place orders with them?

Thanks

:D

Okay, I didnt know anything about them because I have never ordered there before...now which one to get?

Ryan,
I personally consider the LOC Big Nuke too big of a rocket for a 54mm hybrid motor, but it will work. If you set it (assuming HT) to the highest average thrust you should be fine, but you are only getting 3500'. To me that is fairly low for a J flight. I would recommened using something like a LOC EZI 65 or a Binder Design Stealth which is much lighter. With these rockets you should be able to acheive around 6000' in altitude, which is much more respectable. If you HAD to go with a 5.5" kit, the Big Nuke would work, but how about stretching an IROC. Have you investigated the 5.5" L3 BSD Horizon?

Stephen

Originally posted by boatsandrockets
Ryan,
I personally consider the LOC Big Nuke too big of a rocket for a 54mm hybrid motor, but it will work. If you set it (assuming HT) to the highest average thrust you should be fine, but you are only getting 3500'. To me that is fairly low for a J flight. I would recommened using something like a LOC EZI 65 or a Binder Design Stealth which is much lighter. With these rockets you should be able to acheive around 6000' in altitude, which is much more respectable. If you HAD to go with a 5.5" kit, the Big Nuke would work, but how about stretching an IROC. Have you investigated the 5.5" L3 BSD Horizon?

Stephen

Naw... that is a perfect rocket. Out here, in the East Coast, where the biggest field is still to small... 3,500 ft is the most I would want to go, and ONLY when the wind is right. Besides, the waver is only good to 4,600 ft.

Doug is right. 3,500 feet is actually pretty high for our feild. I do have an EZI and I am modifying it now to take hybrids. It will probably only take I's though. I will look into the other kits you mentioned but I am probably gonna get the Nuke and then stretch it.

The Hybrid I is a Mid I motor, and with the altimeter bay installed, it should take the EZI close to 3000 - 3500 ft with that motor. I need to get some Rocksim files to find out for sure...

cool. I need to learn how to Mod. it....wanna come over :D :D :D

Does anyone know the Max liftoff weights of the Hypertek motors, or a link to where they can be found?

I want to buy a regular big nuke and put another length of 5" tubing on it. This will make the rocket quite large but could add to much weight.

Will the weight of the Nuke, the Extra Airframe, altimeter, and altimeter bay going to be to much for a Large Hypertek J

My other options are:

--get the regular nuke and get 2 outboard 29mm mounts (this is a bit pricy)
--Get the regular nuke and the tubing and take it off for hypertek flights but have the option to add the upper BT when I can get big enough motors
--Just get the regular nuke

What do ya think?

well, that means I should be able to fly the extended version (measure out to be about 10'). Here is my reasoning:

The rocket weighs about 108oz
the extra peice of BT weighs about 27oz
That adds to 135oz or 8.4375 lbs.
adding the epoxy and altimeter bay I will say 12 lbs. I hope this number is a little over but should give me some leeway

I could fly the rocket on the I260,J190,J250,J270,J295,J317,J330, and K240 And the rocket when flying with these motors is always at least 3 pounds under the motors max. liftoff weight; I could fly the rocket on many other motors but it would be cutting it close.

This is with the estimate 12lb total weight.

Any thoughts?

I dunno about that, an I seems a little small...I know about Big Nuke's, my dad flew a 11.5# dry, 6.5" diamter upscale on the K240 Ratt, and got 1276'. I can't see an I motor lifting a comparable rocket...And if you only fly on fumes or not a full tank, saftey becomes a big issue...I am personally not fond of the Hypertek because of it's complexity and high variation of elements, I think it could be developed a little more...but I have been wrong before!!!

For a 12# rocket, I suggest at least 350 NS average thrust, with a nice kick off the pad. J350 would work well, maybe even an I435 or I284, but I am not so sure about the Hybrids.

While mine is going to be smaller You could be right. The K240, though has lower thrust but burns longer. The I motor has much more of a punch. The I motor may be a bad idea but not the J's for example a J330.

you are right about not having a tank, but thats just a risk I will have to take

I am really worried about the motor being powerful enough to give the rocket a nice flight

Whoops!
That came across wrong, I didn't want to scare you! I want to recommend that you fly it first with an AP motor. Try it on a J350, and you may be surprised, my Magnum is similar in size, and is 13# loaded with a 350, about 1000'. I would never consider an I motor. Try a proven AP motor first, get the deployment figured out, and then go for the hybrid.
We like to see rockets go high...so whats the point of a small I? go for a bigg'un! J350's don't satisfy the Magnum....K670GG in Sept.:-D If I shred, I will say try an I.... lol! Until then, biggest motor, biggest zoom, biggest altitude, biggest fun!:D Biggest $$$, too:kill:

I am flying my Magnum with J330 FX next weekend. It has flown twice already on APCP (J500's). I added an alt bay to it, but I am sure that the J330 will do the trick. You are right about the hypertek... filling the tank IS a problem. To many things can go wrong. The gas can leak around the syphin, making you think it is full, when you are wrong. I seen a vid of somebody waisting a M1010 grain with that mistake.

well the BN is probably gonna weigh the same as your Magnum. Mine will have the extra tube on top but yours has the 29mm tubes on it.

I need to know if it will work so I can order the rocket tommorow (and the extra tube I hope)

Back