Successful Tripoli L2 Flight!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAH

Reaction score
It was a foggy morning when we left for the hour or so drive to Whitakers, NC. By the time we arrived most of the fog was burned off and sunny blue skies were starting to take over. The ground was still wet with dew as we helped set up the club equipment. The weather was forecasted for a mostly to partly sunny day in the low to mid 90's with a 30% chance of isolated thunder storms. After looking around and watching a few flights from other flyers, my son Ian and I prepped and launched my Lil'Nuke with an F40. Always a good flight from this rocket.

After procrastinating for way too long, I decided it was time to get my Tripoli level two certification. After lunch I approached Alan Whitmore with my request who was more that willing to put down his lunch to administer the exam. After passing the test I moved down the line to Ken Allen of Performance Hobbies and purchased a Pro 38 J285 motor and rented a Pro 38 five grain case.

I prepped my BSD Horizon 54 with a Transolve P5 altimeter, all the necessary recovery and loaded the motor. After a short wait until the increasing cloud cover opened up a bit, out to the pads we went and pointed the Horizon 54 skywards and the altimeter was armed. By now that 30% chance of isolated thunder storms was looking more like 80% from the look of the skies back over the flight line. The count down was given and the button pushed. Shortly after apogee the airframe separated and it tumbled down to 800' where the main was deployed, landing in the cotton field just behind the flight line.

No damaged was found when recovered and the altimeter was reporting a 4,120' peak altitude. After Alan Whitmore looked over the recovered rocket my paperwork was filled out and signed. About 20 minutes went by as we watched other flights and I cleaned the Horizon 54 after its' flight. I heard a few drops of rain on the tent and knew it was time to pack everything up. The rain came just as we pulled the car out of the field for the trip home.

Sorry, no pic's. I don't know what was I thinking? :rolleyes:

A big thanks to Alan Whitmore and Ken Allen for aiding me in my L2 flight.

Paul :D

PAH,

congrats on your L2 cert.!!!

sounds like everything went smooth....good job!

A BIG , HUGE Congrats Paul on your L2 certification!!! It sounds like you had a fantastic day...it just doesn't get much better than that bro! :)

I am glad it was a perfect flight and sorry I missed it. Maybe someone else got a shot or two for you to remember. Welcome to the BIG "core" club and get more birds ready; I wanna see em again when I get down there either this fall or next spring.

Once again, Congrats!

Carl

Congrats, Paul, on your L2.

Man, I wish you had said something to Mark and me about your cert flight. You know we weren't five cars away from you the whole day, and Mark and I both had digital cameras and I had my 8mm vidcam. You could have had all the pictorial history you wanted just for the asking. I remember your flight just as the storm was coming on. I think it was the only flight of the day that landed outside the field.

Anyway, congrats again.

I'm trying to get caught up on all the posts since Thursday night, as I was too busy to check things Friday at work, and Mark and I spent the weekend at Whitakers.

A moderator's job never ends. :rolleyes:

Anyway, as soon as I have some time, I have to review some mpegs that I took this weekend at Whitakers. Hopefully, some of them will be good enough to post. I know Mark got some pictures, too, so hopefully he'll get those up in the next few days.

We had a good time on Saturday. We both got in HyperTek flights. It took Mark 2 times to get his Vortex off the pad on HyperTek, and it took me 4 tries to get the Antares up on HyperTek. We learned a lot this weekend, and unfortunately, we learned it the hard way.

We also did some EX launches on Sunday that were really fun.

More later.

congratulations!!!....now you can fly up to L motors...that is awsome!

A big congrats on your L2:D
its a good thing you done it before it rain.

Back