Failed Level 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrogers

Reaction score
NYPOWER came and went, got my Mega-Nuk up on an AMW M1350, but the payload section and the fin section suffered 6" zippers due to "over-energetic ejection" Flew to 5408 feet

Next year will be different

Attached is the initial boost off the rail ( Photo was taken from 500' away )

Joel

Beautiful launch. Sorry to hear about the zipper. How long was your shock cord? I had mine at 30'.

Had 60 in the fin can and 40 in the payload, It deployed after apogee on its way back down. According to my L3CC I had too much BP.

We live and learn

Joel

Sorry to hear about that man :(. That is one nice looking bird though. Hopefully you'll have it fixed up in no time and ready to fly again soon... to bad M's are not allowed in Amesbury... :(

Eventually I will fly it on a K950 or K975 in Amesbury ( Simms out to 1400 feet ) Might try to cert at Frontier this fall

You need to talk to Bill about that... I am not sure the field is rated for K motors... (distance from apartments). So where did you buy your M1350's from? Do you get them directly from AMW, or do you buy them from Magnum?

Magnum, he was on site. Steve Boy flew a K550 there a couple years back in his huge V2, I need to aquire a new 75 to 54 adapter ( I think my old one is in the Genesee River with my 54/1050 motor )

Jrogers,

Sounds like you have the bugs worked out and will be ready to give it another shot soon. Shock cord sounds fine and I am sure you will get it next time. On the brighter side, you DID get to "burn an "M"! :)

Carl

I love that pic. That 1350 is awsome!

I don't kow about the K. It would be awsome if you flew it at Amesbury and I am all for it but I think as Doug says the biggest motor is a J (J800). I think, Steve Boy flew that V2 on a J415 however, I think I am thinking about a different V2 ( and hope I am)

Maybe the three of us can bully Bill into letting you fly it

:D :D :D

Yep, now that I got all the "nervous "stuff out of the way it should be a breeze ( I hope )

Joel

I was lucky enough to be out at the away cell when the M1350 went off! I used the rail right after you for my Magnum on a RATT K240. I learned that I need to start strategically planning my flights so that I can go to the away cell when a big rocket is there as well, so I can be a little closer than everyone else:p
It was a beautiful flight, andif everything goes right, I hope you will be making a sport M flight at next years NYPower!!:rolleyes:

The cool thing about level 3 is there is not much pressure. If you fail, you just buy another M and fly it! There is nothing after level three so you aren't missing anything.

No word yet, not this weekend, still need top repair the rocket, but if it gets approved I will before this season is out

Joel

Cool! I am sure if you can't fly it at Amesbury you could always fly it at Halifax!

So, any interesting flights planned for the 19th?...any Green Gorillas? :D

No Green Gorilla, but I am flying the Blue Nuke on a Pro38 J330 ( mabe 2 if it is nice enough out ) Possibly fly a 4 grain " I " as well.

Thats all I got left at the moment

Cool!...I wish I had a J330...I only have a G69 :D

I will make sure to whatch for the flight...it sounds awsome!

Here is the launcjh pic that I lost the 54/1050 motor on

4" Nuke AMW J370 GG

Bummer man... I hate losing cases

whoa I just got the coolest idea. You fly you Nuke on a J330 agianst Dougs Magnum on a J500...a J drag race:-D...what do you think?...... It might be unfair because Dougs is going to have 2 G64's as well as the J500 but then the J500 is a baby J

What about the J330...if it is a full J it would be perfect

:D :D :D :D :D

Bummer about the case... if you want, I can see if I can get you another one and a load for the 19th? I'll put it on your tab ;)

The J500 is 660 N/s with 240 n/s of G's = 900 n/s.
The J330 is 765 n/s. His will start first though.

Joel beet me to it! Joel Rogers is cool... I am working on the April 19th coverage on my site, his name came up several times. Joel Rogers and I were the first to use AMW motors at a CMASS launch.

I need to save up the cash for the hardware, NYPOWER pretty much wiped me out

cool so there will be a slight advantage for Doug but Joel's will definantly start faster

Will you race then?....come on!:D

Joel, just in case we need a co-signer on the flight card (I have no LEUP), would you willing to put your name on our flight cards for our HP flights on Saturday?

Ok... let me get my black book out... $50 on the magnum.. $100 on the Nuke... any other bets? Come on!!! :D:D:D. Easy winnin's here.

Its not a fair race Ryan.

Back