Substitute for Black Powder in ejection charges

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
What are you using in place of FFFF black powder in ejection charges? Is anyone using smokeless FFFF BP and if so how does it work?

Some people are experimenting and using Pyrodex P in place of 4F BP. Try doing a search on "Pyrodex."

I have heard the Pyrodex works perfectly. The hitch is to get it all to burn at once. What you need to do it use electrical tape over your EC holder then tape that down by wrapping electrical tape around the ejection charge holder.

The electrical tape wont be able to fall off and must burst. This creates pressuer causing all the Pyrodex P to burn.

Go to www.aeroconsystems.com for some alternate ideas. They have a CO2 ejection system that will work even at very high altitudes where BP won't burn. Although expensive, I have been looking at it for higher altitude flights.

Also, the tips given on Pyrodex are correct. I saw someone test them on site and use different types of power for testing.

Carl

You may have heard all this, but at the risk of being redundant...

You can check my web page (link in the signature). You will spot the link easily. I have the results of a couple of experiments with Pyrodex P that I have run. Also, more importantly, I have links to others who have used it and/or run more experiments.

Back