Ready for level 1!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopy

Reaction score
Okay - I've got the rocket, I've got the motor hardware, no all I need is a good political climate. Here's my Small Endeavour, ready to go. I have a test flight on a G64 planned, and am hoping to put her up on an H165 for my level one.

Loopy

I like the paint job, It will look perfect with the redline motor

Very cool Loopy...looks great man! I really like my Small Endeavour...a great flying model!!! :)

So, when ya gonna fly it...and where?

Carl

Originally posted by Loopy
I have a test flight on a G64 planned, and am hoping to put her up on an H165 for my level one.

The rocket looks great!!! What diameter is a H165? What size motor mount does the rocket have?

Randy

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I can't wait to fly it!

Rocketmanic - the Small Endeavour has 38mm mount, and I'll be using an adapter to fly the 29mm H165.

Loopy

Originally posted by Loopy
Rocketmanic - the Small Endeavour has 38mm mount, and I'll be using an adapter to fly the 29mm H165.

Cool, I have been looking for a cool rocket with 38mm mount. I can't wait to hear more.

Randy

Loopy,

What are the centering rings made out of? and how do you have it setup for motor retention?

Would like to get a PML kit and that one looks interesting..

thanks

firemanup, the centering rings are 3/16" birch ply. As for motor retention, I put two threaded inserts into the rear centering ring, and am making some clips from brass stock that will be held with screws into the inserts.

I would highly recommend this kit. Easy to build, and I love the split fin design!

Loopy

Loopy,
I am so glad to see your bird all done. If it flys as great as it looks, you will have an awesome level 1 certification!!

Best of luck and my fingers are crossed for you. :)

-Janet

Hey Loopy,

Cool rocket! Nice paint job too!

My wife says, "Wash that kids face!!"

It makes my wife nervous to see kids with dirty faces. LOL.

sandman

Thanks Janet and sandman! As for the kids faces - they're little boys!!! There's only so much I can do!! lol Honestly - I didn't realize how dirty the face was until I got the pictures back. :eek:

Loopy

Carl,

I just realized that you asked a while ago when and where I'm going to fly it. Sorry! I'm planning on flying it at VOA on the G64 sometime before the end of the summer. Unfortunately, this weekend is the Dayton Air Show (Canadian Snow Birds, Blue Angels, and Thunderbirds all in one show!!! I can't wait!!), and my son's 2nd birthday party, so this weekend's launch is a bust, but hopefully sometime in August/September timeframe. As for the L1, I'm waiting to see what happens in congress, since I can't get a motor right now.

Loopy

The Blue Angels and the thunderbirds all in one show.....man you are lucky!!!

The cool part about the Blue angels is the bigging of their show when they demonstrate the Rocket Asisted Takeoff C-130. The thing is going down the runway kinda slow and then all of the sudden it leeps into the air and starts doing flips and stuff...it was weird to see a plane that size do airial manouvers.

Anyway both are a great show. The Thunderbirds are kind of crazy but the Blue Angels are loud...(two engines are better than one)

have fun!!!!

This air show is HUGE because it's the 100th anniversary of powered flight, and since the airplane was invented, developed, and tested right here in Dayton, OH, it's a huge deal here. So, the air show is running for four days (today through Sunday) rather than just the normal 2.

Loopy

I'm looking to certify soon but I've been told I need an LEUP for the motor, which would be either Aerotech H128 or H180. Do you have an LEUP or do you not need one for these motors?

Peace:cool:

Mike

you do need a Leup for one of those motors. You might be able to get someone in the local club to help you with the LEUP for certification. I dont know if you can do this though

you might want to get a LEUP now. If you plan on flying bigger motors in the future then you have it to keep them in

My expierience so far since the law has not yet been written in stone is that some if not most vendors are still selling "Easy Access" aerotech motors which include (F,G,H, and I) motors. Anything in the J range or higher are restricted access. which DO require the LEUP at this point in time. In Michigan at one of the shows I attend they are certifying with no LEUP required for level 1 cert only. Level 2 and up are requiring a LEUP.

I also understand that the single grain Pro 38's are no LEUP but 2 grain and up are requiring a LEUP. Hope this helps.

So how are you guys going about this? The law has been in effect since 5/24
Would it be legal for someone with their own LEUP and storage magazine to buy the reloads for me and bring them to launches for my use (assuming that I returned any unused reloads to him)? Someone has offered to do that for me so I can certify L1 this fall. Suppose I could ask the local ATF but why invite scrutiny, y'know?

Originally posted by SkyHigh
My expierience so far since the law has not yet been written in stone is that some if not most vendors are still selling "Easy Access" aerotech motors which include (F,G,H, and I) motors. Anything in the J range or higher are restricted access. which DO require the LEUP at this point in time. In Michigan at one of the shows I attend they are certifying with no LEUP required for level 1 cert only. Level 2 and up are requiring a LEUP.

I also understand that the single grain Pro 38's are no LEUP but 2 grain and up are requiring a LEUP. Hope this helps.

Any motor weighing over the limit is restricted. This means any H motor and up. Also, some G motors are restricted. For Aerotech this means the G75 and G33 loads. All other Aerotech G motors are okay to buy without having a LEUP.

All Pro38 motors require a LEUP. The only expemtion to this is the G69 motor. The other single G load, the G79SS, Does Require a LEUP to be purchased.

To adress Chilly's question, I would think that if; a person with a LEUP bought the motor and sponsored the flight. You could certify L1. According to the Law (I believe) is that you need a LEUP to buy and posses motors that exeed a certian weight. If you arent in possesion of the motors you could still fly your birds with the motors.

This is pretty encouraging now. I spoke to our Tripoli prefect and he's offered to buy and store the motors for me, so I can get L1 this fall. WHOOPEE!!!
It'd be nice to have the freedom to do it myself, but I probably won't be flying HPR more than a few times a year anyway. No big deal for now. When I'm ready for L2 I'll get my own LEUP.

Now I have to decide on a kit. I'd started a thread earlier this year on modifying an Aerotech Astrobee D, just for the challenge. Don't know if I'll stick w/ the 29mm mount or upgrade to 38mm.
It'll be either that or a PML Black Brant VB on a Pro38.

Ya'll, it's not looking like we'll be getting relief from the ATF this year unless something happens with the lawsuit. Until then we need to pool our resources and find the best way to pursue our hobby within the law. Seems to me the best way is for local clubs to invest in group magazines and LEUPs wherever possible. Tim Quigg had an article about this very thing in Extreme Rocketry.

One more bit of good news - spoke to Ross at Magnum yesterday and he said things are picking up. At the current rate he expects to be able to stay in business but it's still close.

Originally posted by Chilly
One more bit of good news - spoke to Ross at Magnum yesterday and he said things are picking up. At the current rate he expects to be able to stay in business but it's still close.

Very good news, hope he is able to keep the business open for years to come!!!!

Eric - thanks for the compliments! Yours looks good too, though - blue is my favorite color. Great shots of the launch, by the way (I especially liked the shot of it "stuck" in the tree:D ).

Yes, it is encouraging to hear that we can have people sponsor our launches. Chilly, much like you, I wouldn't launch HPR much at all (can't afford more!), so that is great to hear. I still hope things ease up, just so the arguments can end, and the questions are answered, and we can fly confident that we aren't doing anything wrong (as far as the law is concerned, anway. My parachute will probably be packed wrong...:rolleyes: )

Loopy:rolleyes:

Hey there Loopy,
Do you ever come to the Tripoli Mid-Ohio launches? I've only been to one so far - between my work schedule and the rotten weather it just never worked out last year. Anyway that's who I'll be flying HPR with and that's only good for about a half-dozen launches a year.

Chilly,

Before I really got into mid/high power, I attended one launch at Goraj, really just as a spectator. Didn't see much - bad weather, 1000' ceiling. Mostly, I've been flying with Quark north of Cincinnatti. I live in Dayton, so it's about the same for me to get to either place. You should come down to a Quark launch sometime! Quark.org to see the launch schedule - we're pretty active!

Loopy

Back