Sumo Bash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocwizard

Reaction score
For my L1 a I chose an Aerotech SUMO. It flew great on the first flight on an H180W and the cert was a success. It went into hibernation for a while, until a few months ago when I got it back out for another fun flight on an H180W. On the second flight I had stretched the rocket about a foot. even though it had a seemingly soft landing on the rocketman R7, a big chunk of one of the VERY thin plastic fins busted off. the aft end was also dinged in a bit as well. I should have expected this damage considering that I fly on a hard dry lakebed. Anyways, after that flight, I have decided to put this Sumo into retirement. But I still wanted a Sumo to fly, it was a good looking design, but I had always felt it needed more than a mere H motor. Now we have all seen how the Gates Bros have taken the SUMO to its absolute extreme, but my wallet just cant take it that far. It also needed more in the strength department. Sooo, the other day I was digging through my spare parts and retrieved all the parts that I had for it. Mine was to have a 54mm motor mount. But due to the current conditions that we must operate under now, I decided to make mine hybrid capable. The progress so far is I have the tube glassed with 3 layers of 6oz. I have also opened up the base of the nosecone and added noseweight as well as an eyebolt for shockcord attactchment. I will be ordering the fins in a day or two, which will be cut from 0.125" G10. I will be using a perfectflite MAWD for ejection which will reside between two of the fins. I think that just about covers it. predicted altitude on a hypertek K240 is about 8500 feet and on a Kosodon L1860, 9700 feet!:D So, what are the rest of you doing in the midst of these new regulations (as far as hybrids go)?

Pics should be coming soon, as I will probably be getting a digi cam for my B-day in the beginning of July!:D

I always get this question. I personally did not cert, my dad did, but then I under his "supervision" take advantage of that certification. I actually am the one who got him into the hobby so that I could do the things that I do now.

ok, i get the question too but in NZ there is no Certs and no ATF problems (yet!)

matt

<giggle> Hey Eric, I'll drag race your Sumo with my Mephisto... I'll use a J570W and you can choose any 54mm white lightning motor you want ;) Good luck with this one. OBTW, how's the BBX coming?

Well, yesterday I ordered up the fins and the good news is that I get to pick them up this weekend at ROCstock XVII!:D I cant wait!

Hey David, I am up to a drag race! But you better get a bigger rocket, cause my Sumo is gonna leave that Mephisto biting the dust!:kill: At least try to give me a challenge!:D SO you better be pulling out something with a little more horsepower under the hood er, in the motor tube.

Back