Level three with Hybrids

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman248

Reaction score
Hi,

If you use a hybrid motor, can you get level three if you are 19 years old? At NSL, I was bit by the L3 bug, and I would like to do it before I went into the Navy. I sent an e-mail to NAR and havn't gotten a response. My guess is that you can. The rules say any NAR member certified level 2.

Here is my preliminary design. Any tips? Suggestions?

Also, how long does the process usually last? I can build it pretty quick. I have a lot of the materials handy.

Nick,

You bring up a very good point...you need to be 18 to launch any HPR rocket, but 21 to own a LEUP. However, there is nothing in the NAR L3 documentation to indicate you have to be 21...that is a federal restriction for motor use only, not a NAR restriction and it does not apply to Hybrids. I think it's a great way to cert, yet avoid unecessary licensing.

In answer to your question, Yes, you can Certify L3 at the age of 19 on a Hybrid Motor. Moreover, there is no time limit on completing your project. I would recommend though that you get several L2 launches under your belt, to include the use of electronics and Hybrids.

Good luck on your project bro, sounds like it's gonna be fun.

Carl

You can even use Hybrids with a L1 :). Rattworks H70's are real nice motors, and Plastic Polymers and West Coast Hybrids have simular motors in the H and I class.

Hybrids are very cool. I saw your Mirage on the H70. Very loud! Was that Ryan's EZI-65 on the H70 as well?

what huh??.........haha yeah my EZI was on a G80...it isnt hybrid ready but I will make it soon. I need to get ground support with Doug before I do that

Latest posts

Back