Aft closure differences

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman248

Reaction score
Quick question,

Somewhere I read that the thrust ring on the aft closures Dr. Rocket 29mm casings were longer than the Aerotech aft closure. Does any one have the measurements of the Aerotech closure?

I want to fly my 29mm minimum diameter rocket on an H180 at NSL. However, when I put the Slimline retainer on, I only left about a quarter of an inch of space. The Dr. Rocket thrust ring is 3/8 of an inch long.

If you take a DR Rockets case and an AT RMS case, they are the same. If you take an AT Hobby case, the 29/40-160 Hobby reload case, it's thrust ring is about 1/16 or so shorter. I've never measured, but know they are different. DR Rockets, builds their cases to an AT design, they have to because the certification was done with AT hardware, and the only way we can use DR Rockets and still stay within the safety rules is for them to reproduce exactly (with exception of colors and anodizing) :)...

If I get a chance tonight, I'll Mic our one of each.

Alan

Originally posted by Rocketman248
I only left about a quarter of an inch of space. The Dr. Rocket thrust ring is 3/8 of an inch long.

After re-reading your question, yup, I'll bet you measured for the hobby reloadable. The RMS hardware is different. As stated in my other response, I'll measure tonight.

Alan

Actually I solved the problem. I just took my trusty dremel and got rid of an eighth of an inch of the motor tube. It will go up on an H180 at NSL. I also have an H210 Redline. I might fly that in it too.:D

Here's a pic of it on it's second flight on a G35. It's all fiberglass so it is kind of see through. I didn't paint it.

I bit that will go pretty high with the H180 :D.

Both Aerotech and Dr. Rocket "contract" their cases from the same company. They rarely make their own cases. I believe Dr. Rocket makes their own prototypes, that is why new RMS designations are available by Dr. Rocket first.

Hey Doug,

Yeah, I think it's gonna go pretty high too.:D :D .

Aren't you going to NSL? I hope to see you there. I've seen you in the pictures on your website. I will keep my eye out for you. If I see you, i'll come and say hello!

I launched my H-Force once with a H180.... had to walk a mile to get it back ... those motors are powerful. I like the I200's better though... maybe I should give my H-Force a ride on that (If I can find a load)

Yes Sir, I plan to go :). I hope to see you there :D

Doug,

I don't think it's going to drift very far. It has a tiny X-form chute. I flew it on a G35 and it went about 2500 feet. It was a very windy day and the rocket landed about 150 yards away. Here's a pic of the chute.

Back