super snitch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocwizard

Reaction score
Well, I have gone off the deep end this time, I have modified a snitch with a 38mm mount, I sliced out the motor mount with a hack saw and have glued in the new motor tube with J.B. WELD and went tip to tip with 6oz. glass. It is going to fly on an H123W the weekend after next. It should be great! At the club that I go to (ROC) we love to "upgrade" estes Snitches in all sorts of ways, 2 stage, 3 stage, clustered, clustered/staged, airstarts,etc. But, I don't think anyone has ever put a Snitch on an H motor yet. :D Ihave also never seen a snitch shred before, so, I may have two firsts with this one. We shall see...:kill:

My moto is seen all over the place on this one! (see below)

Hey, you want to see something cool? This is my first competition award, the Prang Award. This might show you something!!! It's a Snitch that seems to have melted somewhat..........

Jason

All I can say is cooool! Let us know the results. I have been enjoying Art Applewhites saucers. I've clustered one, made one into an aeroshell, staged them, etc. The only H flight has been on a 12" saucer designed for that.

Can you explain more of your construction techniques?

TIA

Well, I first marked the spots where I needed to cut the motor mount and part of the fins out. After that I cut it out with a hacksaw. Next i cut the motor tube to length, it fit perfectly! Next I made fillets with J.B. WELD. Afterthat whole process, I cut strips of 6oz glass that would go over the motor tube and overlap on to the "fins" I then thouroughly scuffed up the "fins" to help epoxy adhesion. After laminating, I took more epoxy and filled the weave. Lastly, I reinforced the areas where the upper shell is connected to the motor tube fin unit with more J.B. WELD since all Estes connected it with was CA. I REALLY don't want to try and see if just the CA would hold it on. If all goes well on the H123 flight, then I will try an H242 to give it a little push! :D :D

JB Weld is great stuff. Thanks for the details. Now we need photos!

It flew!!:D

TOday I flaew the Hyper Snitch on an H123! All I can say is that I have never seen a snitch fly straighter, faster and higher than I did today.It had a perfect flight! I will always remember what the John, our LCO said before the flight. " This is wrong on so many levels":kill: of course after the snitch's historic flight into unknown territory, everyone clapped and was amazed. They said it couldn't be done, but I proved them all wrong! Just wait, nezt month I will see a whole bunch of people with their H powered Snitches! But wait! I've got an Ace up my sleeve! I plan on flying it next month on an I357!:D Mwahahahahahaha! Now go my minions! Go out into the world and scare the neighbors when you lauch your own H powered snitch! :kill: :D

Yesterday I flew my Snitch with a D21 motor... the motor blistered so much and melted the motor mount in the UFO... :( I flown it several times with D13's with no signs of melting... Does this mean that the D21's are hotter than the reloads, or did my D21 have a bad case!?.

I have no real 'data', but have seen damage to Estes rockets with the D21. I had thought it was due to burning due to either a heftier ejection charge or the delay continuing to burn after ejection. I have never see this with E15s or E30s in rockets made for the D12 though, however they tend to be larger in diameter.

That's interesting, I have never had that happen on any of the D21s that I have flown before. I guess that it was just a bad case. Bummer on that. But, since the pre made mount is toast, you could hack it out and put in a bigger motor. Might I suggest a 29 or 38mm. :D

Originally posted by rocwizard
Now go my minions! Go out into the world and scare the neighbors when you lauch your own H powered snitch! :kill: :D

Hey, couldn't you fly this without any kind of FAA notification in a county park or other miscellaneous field with any motor under 4.4 oz of propellant? Is it under a pound loaded?

Just Thinking,

Jason

Today at Rocstock, I flew the snitch again. for this flight though, I added a short extension, a nosecone, and a parachute. the main reason for this was just because I didn't want the damage the heavier motor case. Anyways, I shoved a Pro38 5 grain I350 Smokey Sam in it. This is a full I just to let you know. I got some very strange looks a comments on it as I walked down the flightline. The RSO was amused, and he rightfully had me put the Snitch on the far row. the rocket boosted great for about a second before two pieces of the shroud ripped off and the rocket could be seen "taking a right":eek: and the rocket, er snitch thing finished out the burn. a few seconds later the chute deployed and it landed. Upon inspection of the remains, I saw that all the JB WELD joints held, the parts that ripped off were from ther parts of the shroud. Well that was fun!:D If anything good came from this flight, it would have to be that I set at least three new records. I had the first Snitch that weighed in at 2 pounds. I shattered the Snitch altitude record, and I (at least to my knowledge) am the first person to ever shred a snitch.:D

Giggle giggle... yes, that's what it was like. Just lotsa smoke and dead straight, then it kinda went right, then left, then around and around, and fell to the ground. You could see little pieces of neon plastic fluttering down from ~2000 feet. Thanks for that one Eric, it made my aerial acrobatics today look all right :D:kill:

Well David I dont know about good, but it made that less embarassing(sp?):p. But hey, You gotta give fair credit to someone who tries to fly a cheap plastic saucer on a full I! :rolleyes: :D

Well now that I finally got a digital camera, I can get around to posting some pics.

Here are the remains of the snitch after the I350 SS flight

you just gave me some inspiration in building a mid or even high powered Snitch.

Nice man. Saucers are cool expecially on smokey motors. I love it when a vacuum forms behind the shroud and there is a big area of smoke or flame following the rocket

I have the new snitch all glassed now, and most of the trimming and sanding is done. tomorrow (today technically;)) I will attach the motor tube and take pics.

David, whether or not it will fly on Saturday I will leave as a suprise for now. I gotta keep the suspense up for a while.:D Also cause I am not sure if it will be done. It should be anyways.

I did fly it yesterday! IT ROCKED!!!! There is no other way to describe it. The glassing sure paid off cause it stayed together throughout the entire flight. On an I285 redline it blasted off the pad. Very un-snitch like.:D though immediately after engine burnout the thing decelerated so fast it may as well slammed into a brick wall! It proceeded to float down to earth landing no further than 40 feet beyond the pad it took off from. The only damage sustained was the forward acme launch lug got ripped off because of the high rod clearing velocity and the less than vertical take off(intentional).:D I now am adding a second layer of glass to the underside of the shroud and have removed the aft launch lug. I decided to up the size of the launch lugs from 1/4" to 1/2" to get rid of the rod whip problem. All in all, I love it. And the crowd always seems to love it as well!

Here is a pic of the aft end after the motor was installed:

I am sorry to tell you guys that I do not have any launch pics. :(It simply went too fast!:D Unless you have a camera that takes multiple frames per second, you wouldn't have gotten a picture of it.:(

Rock,

Big congrats on the launch...sounds like you have it all figured out the way you want...good job man!

Carl

You all better watch out, cause this puppy is going to be loaded with a J350 in Sept!:D:D:D:D:D I would recommend making one of these UBER-Snitchs. It will fly like a dream on just about anything! Heck, for about 10 bucks everyone should build one!:cool:

I don't mean tosound harsh but......I bet this snitch project has cost you far more than $10

I can buy snitches no problem..I can't get a leup or find suitable storage..and we have no instate vendors
most of the people at our club .. are suffering the same fate

so If I brought a snitch to our feild with a 6 grain motor in it
I would get some pretty cold stares..were doing all we can to get our club members legaly flying hpr again

consider yourself very fortunate
because alot of people around the country can't even fly what hpr they have built right now

by all means have fun with it..its your right to.. .but I just can't seem to have any enthusiasm for this right now

sounds cool to me, I saw a snitch in the hobby shop today. a little light popped on in my head and I was like...ooooo put it on an H....oooooooo. Look what you have started

Hey, that sounds great Ryan. If you do it, I am sure all who see it will be amazed.

styme, I am sorry to hear you feel this way about it. It really did only cost me ~$10. Excluding the motor of course. I picked up some snitches for 4 bucks a pop at my local hobby shop. the other materials needed were all leftovers from other rockets. I still would say you should build one, because it flys great on Pro38 1 grain G69s!

Back