Parachute question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBarron

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any comments about either Sky Angle, Spherachutes or Rocketman parachutes? I need a large (180") chute for my next project and don't have any experience with any of these mfgrs.

Thanks,
Leland

I have personnally used SkyAngle (very neat to look at descending) and RocketMan. I liked both, but for the looks would buy another SkyAngle.

Regards,
Nick

Ok, Sky Angle takes the lead for now (looks matter!).

Thanks Nick.

RocketMan R7C

2x_meanie_2_descent.jpg

SkyAngle 24" in my BSD Diablo (it spins going down)

skyangle_24.jpg

Nick

I personally prefer Rocketman chutes, but the SkyAngle chutes also look very nice! Both brands are of top notch quality! Either way you go i am sure you will be pleased!:D

Ok, so it's 1-1. And a vote for Spherechute over on another forum.
I guess it comes down to size, $$'s and colors.

Thanks guys.

Leland

I've used SkyAngle and they are fantastic. I had one rocket crash and it put 2 tears in my SkyAngle chute. I contacted B2 Rocketry to find out how I could repair the tears. They told me to send it in and they'd take a look at it. They fixed it and returned it to me at no charge! Their customer service is second to none. I'd go with the SkyAngle.

I'm a big fan of both... I've used SkyAngles and Rocketmans in the past. However, the only chute that I've ever put through a *failure* test was a SkyAngle 44" Classic. It deployed going about 400 mph when my Arcas decided it would be funny to drag separate at motor burnout on a J275W. The chute pretty much held together and safely returned most of the rocket. I have a lot of respect for a parachute that can do that!

I love the Rocketman chutes too. They are very stable on descent, making them perfect for camera platforms. They also look awesome :) They also have one major advantage over the SkyAngles, IMHO -- they don't spin on descent. If the swivel in the SkyAngle gets jammed for some reason, and you use allthread with couplers to hold your rocket together... well, you can see the outcome ;)

HTH.

Ok, while I'm pondering the main chute choices, I have a question about drogues (since you guys are so helpful..)

My rocket will be about 35lbs, and with a descent rate of 50 f/s (from INFO Central) I calculated a chute size of about 54". However, I just read a Rocketman review where a guy used an R3C (30") drogue chute for a 50lb rocket and said it worked perfectly. I aslo read where the drogue is used primarily to separate the various parts at apogee so they don't get tangled and then secondarily to slow the descent rate. So, maybe I don't need a 54" drogue chute.

Finally, here's the question: are there any common rules for drogue size other than a suggested 50 f/s descent rate?

Thanks,
LB

There aren't really any rules about drogue size, it's really only there to keep the pieces from banging into each other on the way down. I think the R3 is a fine choice, though I would recommend getting at least the Pro-Experimental variety since it is going to have a lot of stress put on it.

BTW, give us some details on the rocket!!!:D

Thanks RocWiz - I think that'll be my choice - the Pro Ex R3C.

The rocket will be a 1/35 scale Saturn V powered by my home-grown liquid fuel motor that puts out 175lbs of thrust. The 1/35th scale was derived from using 11.4" body tubes which will provide plenty of room inside to mount the 22lbs of stuff that goes with liquid fuel (gasoline and gaseous oxygen). Total height with escape tower will be 10 1/2 ft. I'll be using redundant electronics placed in the "3rd stage" (S-IVB) to pop the drogue chute at apogee and then the main at 800ft, with a back-up set for 500ft. Thanks to you guys I'll have the right parachute for the job.

I know you guys are not into LF on this forum, but I've gathered a lot of info here and I do appreciate your help.

Leland

Originally posted by LBarron
I know you guys are not into LF on this forum, but I've gathered a lot of info here and I do appreciate your help.

Leland

Excuse my ignorance.... what is LF?

Back