Doug's Magnum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Hello

I started building my LOC Magnum. I want to get it flight capable for the 19th :). I am modifying it to carry a timer above the fin-cam for airstarts or ejection backup. I added a centering ring and extended the 29mm motor tubes.

Click Here For Picture.

The motor tubes are not yet glued in, I did this so I can fillet the fins. I am using Great Planes 6 Mintue Epoxy. This is the first time I used that stuff, and I love it :).

I plan to fly it on April 19th with an AMW J500 Super Tiger motor.

You may notice I am building the model in a manner simular to my Megablast. Here is a picture of the fins epoxied in place. Now wexcuse me while I'll go cut some fiberglass strips. :)

Here is a picture of the fin cam.

Hope the pics show where that timer will reside :) Either your site is down or there is a problem on my end as they don't load :(

The pics loaded now!

Well, my magnum is pretty much built, got it done in two days :). The hardest part wash making the electronics bay. I had to make numerous measurements, and guesses :). Looks like I did a good job. Here is a picture of the Here is a picture of the hatch.

Here is a picture of the business end of the rocket. You will note the single 54mm motor tube and two 29mm outboards. The smaller 13mm tube is used as an electrical conduit, and goes all the way up to the electronics bay. I will apply epoxy fillets to the fins before I fly her.

Finally a picture of my rocket and I. We were ment to be :). I will fly her unpainted on the 19th. Filling and priming needs to be applied before I paint her.

Looks good, is there a provision for electronic ejection also, of just the airstarts?

The timer is ment for airstarts, but it can be used for recovery. Flight 1 will use the timer for ejection, since my J500 has a 20 second delay. I will trim the delay, but since I do not have much experience with this motor, I want to rely on the timer. In the near future, I will be adding an LOC 5.5" electronics bay for recovery electronics.

Doug...as usual, it looks great!!! Is that the standard size for a Magnum, or did you extend it? Can't wait to see it with color!

Carl

That is the standard size of the LOC Magnum. The only thing I extended was the length of the 29mm motor tubes :). Today I bought more bondo to finish the fillets.

Doug, beauty!!!! Gotta love those Magnums. Why didn't you paint it bro? :D

So, when is your airstart coming?

I flew it naked for two reasons. I did not have the money or time to paint and decal it, and I wanted to fly it on the 19th. Airstarts will come when I find some low current igniters that I can pair up on my timer, and still have the umph to set off pyrogen.

yeah it is nice....I cant wait to see it painted and maybe some H128's with the J500....that would be sweet...anyway...I cant wait to see Doug fly it agian at NSL....nice job Doug!!!!!!!!!!

Doug, what is an AMW J500? I don't see one anywhere. They have a J370GG, a J357, and a J450, but no J500??? I'm assuming it's a 54mm motor.

Perhaps you could point me at it?

Thanks,
Alan

There is a reason why you can not find the J500... its not for sale. It is the first and only 38mm reload that AMW certified. It uses the Kosdon 38/640 case, and that is one reason why AMW can't sell the load... When Frank signed that contract with Aerotech, Paul lost the right to make loads for that case. I am using what is left over from the batch that was ceritified. It has a total impulse around 660 n/s, and a burn about 1.25 seconds.

Doug, that would be why :)... I guess I'll stick to J2000's in EX... 6 - 4" long grains with stepped cores and burns in less than a second. If you are close enough, you can feel the percussion! :)

Alan

Nice flight Doug !

By the looks of the field , I would guess that you were at Amesbury . Correct ?

If you ever get the chance , check out our field up here in Cherryfield Maine . We've been told that it is one of the best launch fields on the East coast with a standard monthly waiver of 8000' and windows to 19,000'. We also get quite a few guys from down your way . Our next launch will be Memorial Day weekend and i plan on burning up my AMW L777WW and L1060GG along with an AT K700W and an L1120W. Gotta burn em up so i can make the switch to hybrids !

Richard Willey
TRA 2299 L3
Tripoli Cherryfield Maine

You are correct with the field location :). Yes I have heard about the field in Cherryfield Maine. I never been there, but once my L3 project is started... I will be looking for a field to fly it on :D. Those L777's are really nice motors. Here is a video of an L777 we test fired for certification. Hybrids are cool (I have a RATT WORKS H70), but APCP still has its place :).

OUCH!!!! What happened? Did the rocket explode on impact, or was that dust, or a big plume of N2O? Hard to tell with the trailer in the way...

Hehe...

The G-Wiz blew the charge on the launch pad, propelling the nose cone ahead of the rocket. The rocket then ran into the nose cone and the two fought for a while. Finally, the body section won. It decided it didn't like having all the drag of the parachute, so it ripped the eyebolt off the forward end of the tank. Then the body continued on its own until it met with mother earth, under power. That's just a dust cloud you see. The body kept doing loops until it finally came to rest about a hundred feet away. Pretty much a total loss.

I feel sorry for Wayne. Glad it wasn't my rocket :p

O man....that was brutal...it was kinda cool how it chased the nosecone stabalized after the shock cord broke....pooor rocket

My Magnum flew again July 19th, 2003. This time loaded with a central J500 and two ground start G64-10W motors. Simed to 3,100 ft. Looked like it made it, but altimeter suffered power failure, so not confirmed.
Awesome Picture by Lamar!!!

Video and more pics soon to come.

yeah, man...I sacrificed watching that flight to video it!!

That was a great flight....love that flame! :D

Hey Lamar dont forget to post all those awseom pics you got...that one of the cato was great!

Back