Marty's L1 Bullpup Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Vrstal

Reaction score
So, I see these 2 big guys taking laps around my block, and thought it must be Vinnie and Tony. I came to that conclusion from the "Chedder Head" hats and the "Kiss my Cow" bumper stickers on the car, and figured they just came from Kermie's place.

This is going to be the start of my L1 project. As many of you know from talking with me in the chat, it has taken me a while to gather the building supplies to do this rocket right.

The Rocket? It's a 4" Public Enemy Bullpup. I choose this rocket due to looks and price. Also I may want to use it to do my L2 sometime in the future.

So I bought the rocket, joined NAR, got some 4oz glass and West Systen epoxy. My brother is making me some custom vinyl Estes Bullpup decals. Midpwrguy has made me a motor retention system with a new mmt and rear cr, and my wife keeps telling me that we have other bills to pay.

Last night, I decided to glass my tubes. I had to come up with a glassing jig. Well, we had recently bought a small chest freezer and the box was still sitting there in the garage. I found a piece of PVC pipe and cut some cardboard CRs. Now I have a first rate anti-mess anti-cleanup all-in-one turn the pipe as you go glassing jig. Works better than i thought it would.

Here's a pic of my jig and glassed tubes...........Marty

Way ta go Marty!!!

Good start man...I really like the idea you came up with for a jig...cheap and expendable. Good luck on the project and keep the pics coming! :)

Carl

Good job, Marty !!!

Keep those pics coming - remember, Vinnie and Tony already know where you live !!

- Ken

Nice job! Those weren't Vinnie and Tony by the way, it was Ole and Lena coming back up from Florida in the spring.

Marty, Glad to see you have started...... Great idea with the box...
When your done just throw it away...... Best of all no crying from the wife ( Look at that mess! You better clean that up before my mother comes over:mad: ).

Keep up the great work.

Cutt~

Marty, I am so glad you posted your pix before Vinnie and Tony got to ya.
Keep up the good work on the rocket...I really like "the box" idea and can tell you are a true rocket scientist. :D

-Janet

Sounds like you want to keep the wife off of your Bu-- with the box martin. Like the rest of us try to do. looks good keep up the good work. And keep the pictures coming.:cool:

I've been busy. Busy sanding that is. After putting one layer of 4oz glass on the tubes and sanding like crazy, I thought one more layer couldn't really hurt, and sand,sand,sand some more.

Today, I managed to epoxy the bulkhead plate into the coupler.

Here's a pic so Vinnie and Tony( Ole and Lena, by the way...Lena needs a shave) will go back to Kermie's or Janet's place up north.

is this bull pup a QT air frame or a phenolic airframe because i would glass it f its phenolic i even glass my low power rockets, once i saw this bull pup on a H180 and the delay burned prematurely and the rockets airframe you could see it bend after they rectrieveed the rocket the air frame was fine it looked really kool

Matt--Nope it's just good old cardboard tubing. I put 2 wraps on it to hopefully keep it from zippering. This is my first attempt in glassing so I sure hope I'm doing things right.:)

Martin that glass job is looking real smooth!nice job!

I received the new mmt and retention system from Mid the other day and it sure looks great.

So far, I've installed it into the boat tail and have that all foamed with 2-part expanding foam. I have the slots cut out of the body tube and the coupler epoxyed into the payload section.

Here's a quick pic.

So Marty, haven't heard anything in a few days.
How are things shaping up now?

Got a new picture?

-Janet

I've been tack glueing the fins on, trying to get everything just right. There's eight of them you know. No new pics yet but maybe I'll have some in the next couple of days.

My finacial co-ordinator tells me she needs some new camp furniture built for an up-coming camping trip...so I'm thinking I had better work on that for the next few days or all funding for the Bullpup project may be cancelled:(

Don't worry gang...I won't let you down:)

Camping. Who goes camping anymore?
Especially after you've found rocketry. The only time you "camp" is when you are waiting for the launch to start at the state park, right?
I don't know, I don't get it...but I guess you better build the furniture, make her happy, and then hopefully get the funding you need for being a good boy. ;)

Keep us posted.

-Janet

Camping...Well it's more like a Mountain Man Rendezvous...My other expensive hobby. Everything has to look pre-1840. The new furniture will be a folding table and benches made out of walnut. We camp in a tipi and shoot blackpowder guns.

Janet come on down to Woodford WI. on Sat or Sun, May 3-4 and visit...Heck I'll even buy you a couple of cold ones.

Here's the latest pic of the Bullpup. All the fins are tacked on and everything is just dry fitted together. With me...Slow and steady wins the race!

Now back to the shop to plane some more walnut.

Marty, that rocket is lookin' mighty fine!
Great job and thanks for the picture.

I would love to come down to Woodford and sit back, relax, and drink a few cold ones from your new furniture with you but unfortunately I won't be able to. Bummer.

The month of May is like Christmas all over in our family. I have wayyyyy too many birthdays and anniversaries to keep straight...and then there is Mother's Day too. Oh man!

I may not even be able to make time to go down to Bong on May 17th to fly my Excel Plus one more time on an "H" motor before all of the ATF stuff takes effect. :( (sniff sniff)

I really wanna fly it at least one more time, ya know?

-Janet

It's been a busy last few months here at Marty's house. I finally got some work done on the Bullpup.

The first pic is of the finished fin can. Instead of epoxying the shock cord to the MMT, I installed a 1 3/4" U-bolt so i can easily attach a quick link for the cord assembly.

This next pic is of the NC. I liked the way Mark built his 3" version. So I cut the bottom off and make a plug out of some 3/4? ply. This way I can open it up and add nose wt.

This last pic is where it gets screwed together. I'm planning on just useing sheet metal screws.

I have the rocket all epoxyed together now and have been working on fin fillets.

Hopefully I'll have time to do some sanding and paint in the near future.....If I don't have to many more honey-do jobs.

Martin. Looks like it's starting to come togather real nice. I've always liked the looks of the bull pup 12D. Glad to see your building again. :D And keep us posted on the progress.

looks awesome
keep the pics coming
keep up the great work Martin

Marty,
Glad to see you got all of the "projects" done for the wife and are able to get back to building your rocket again. Thanks for the pictures, it looks like it is shaping up to be a great rocket!

-Janet

Hehe, I'm still around Doug. Glad you remembered me. ;)

I've been kinda waiting out all of the legal stuff that has been going on before I plan another "big" project....plus I don't know what I want to do yet.
I DO have a couple ideas though. :p

I did just purchase a Cheetah from Fliskits and am going to start building that soon. Summer is just flying by! (pun intended)...and I haven't even launched one bird yet. uuuggghhh
The Cheetah will be my first 2 stage rocket, so it should be fun.
I am going to shoot it off at our county park when it is all done.

So what have you been up to? What is your latest project?

-Janet

Back