New Member Goes For Level 1 Cert.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allamericngrl

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new member to TRF and was recently welcomed by a couple of "veterans" who wanted to learn more about my Level 1 project.

I have been working on my 2nd rocket...yes, only my second rocket...since February and am planning on launching it for my Level 1 Certification on April 19th in Racine, Wisconsin.
Mooooooo!! Sorry, "dairy joke" had to do it. hehehe

The rocket is a Binder Design kit. The model is the Excel Plus. It is about 5 1/2 ft. tall, has a 4 inch diameter, a 38mm motor mount, and a 36 inch parachute. I am a friend of Kermie's and he plugged the info. into RockSim and it should hopefully fly really well on an H242T motor with a 10 sec. delay. According to the computer, it should reach a little over 1900 ft in altitude and fly about 300 mph. COOL!!!

I can't wait to launch!

I am still in the priming/sanding phase and I have read from others on the forum that this is the stage that takes a lot of time...and is rather boring...but it is a necessary evil if you want your rocket to look like a million bucks. Hope mine looks like at least $100. HA!

Since I am still new to the hobby and to the forum, please understand that I may not be aware of all the "lingo" just yet, but I am learning as fast as I can and any help along the way is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Janet

Good to have you on board, and good luck on the L1 (not that we expect luck is needed ;))

The only comment about TRF is that there are people here who will get down right NASTY if you don't post a photo of your rocket. I know, as I make this mistake al the time :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Looks like you're gonna beat me by about a week for L1.

sandman

Janet,

Bring your rocket over here one of these nights and we'll get 2 things taken care of:

1) We'll get a picture of it before these apes tear your head off

2) Before you put the motor retainer on, we'll test fit it with the casing in there so you know how far to overlap the retainer onto the motor mount tube (you didn't put the retainer on yet, did you? ;)).

Just a hint: Don't say "MOOOO" to loudly around Phil. It makes him kinda jittery. I've never seen it in person, but I'm told that a jittery Phil is not a pretty sight. :D

Wow, I don't want to make any "enemies" with my first post to TRF since I don't have any pix of my new rocket.

Since I have been reading the forum for the past 4 months, I do remember this being a very "important issue" and will make sure that I have a picture for you in the near future.

I have an early confession to make:
I am a somewhat "computer illiterate" and still use "dial -up"....okay you CAN laugh, it is really funny.
And to make matters worse, I don't have a digital camera.
Yikes! I musta made a bunch of friends with this last paragraph. hehe

I do have a good friend that I can pester to take a picture for me. He has a digital camera and I am sure he would just LOVE to help me out with this dilemma....right Kermie?

Thanks bud...you don't want the new kid on the block/forum to not make any cool friends, would ya? haha

Janet

Obviously Kermie types a heck of a lot faster than I do! :D

I will definitely bring the rocket over so I can get pix...thanks for getting me outta the quicksand on that one!

Also, I did NOT put the retainer on yet. Whew!
See, I do listen when I wanna. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help Kermie!

What! NO PICK.. GrrrrRRRRRR!!! :kill: :D:D:D

Just playin' with yah! Nice to see the ladies getting invloved with this hobby. Good luck with your L1! I know you will have sucess! That H242 is a real nice motor!

Thanks so much for your "vote of confidence" Jim!

It is appreciated, and I promise to get you all a picture of my rocket as soon as I can. :)

Welcome aboard Allamericangrl ! Glad you decided to post. Sounds like you are in good company having Kerm as a tutor!
Good luck with your Lvl 1 project and attempt. My only advise is stay away from any field near a lake! Swimmer can back me up here:D

Cutt~

Welcome Allamericngrl,

Was that you with Kerm last October at Bong? If so, Hi again and welcome to the forum.....If not.....welcome to the forum.

Hope things go well for your flight on the 19th.....Kerm told me he was attending...I may just have to do some major building so I can cert the same day.

Yes pictures are a must here. And keep your rocket out of the trees and lakes at BONG.....Bye for now.........Marty

And all the apes say, "Give us your pics!!!!" :D

Welcome to the forum. It is good to see a female be part of the excitement. So, a hardy welcome....

Since you apparently live near Kermie, are you planning on coming to Whitakers with him in April? The more the merrier... :)

"Moooooooooo"
(In my best Monty Python voice) "Don't say that word."

This may be off the subject a little, but why do cows make Phil jittery? I've seen the references rampant in this forum, but I miss the joke!! Come on, let me in!!! :D

Loopy

Loopy - Phil has a bovine dysfunction. This means that anything that looks or sounds like a cow sends Phil running off screaming in terror. We here at The Rocketry Forum *never* use this to torment Phil. (yeah, right.....)

Allamericngrl - welcome to the forum. I wish you the best of luck on your L1.

Don't let the guys intimidate you regarding posting pics. So far there have only been two members that were tortured to death for not posting pics. :D

- Ken

Well, only two they can prove, Ken. Remember, they still haven't found the other bodies... :)

WOW, thank you all so much for the wonderful welcome. I feel like a celebrity.:D

I just wanted to take the time to apologize (yes already) to Doug...I am so sorry I called you Jim last night when I posted.

No offense to Jim though! (gosh what am I geting myself into?)

Doug, I was starting to fall asleep at the computer because it was a little past my normal bedtime but I was having so much fun talking to everyone and my brain was turning to mush. I hope you can forgive me. I promise not to do it again.
:( Please?

Marty--YES, that was me with Kermie at Bong during the summer. Nice to talk to you again. I will try my hardest to stay outta the trees and the water!

Cutt--Thanks for the water tip and the nice welcome. :)
You are correct when you say Kermie is a good tutor. The reason he is so good though is because all he thinks about and TALKS about is rocketry. Don't ja Kermie? haha
He knows I'm right.

Phil--Thanks for the welcome and I will honestly try not to make any cow jokes...or references to the animal. This will be difficult though...I am from Wisconsin and that was a really funny story.
I swear I will do my best, okay but it was such a mooooving story though. (snicker)
:eek:

As much as I would LOVE to come to Whitakers in April I won't be able to make it. Maybe some other launch sometime though. I will also try to get you some pictures real soon too!

Note to self: Watch out for Phil and Ken because they stated torture and death for not posting pics. I do NOT want to be the third missing body. Yikes.

Ken--Thanks for wishing me luck on my Level 1 launch. I appreciate it.
:D

Sandman--Thanks for the welcome and good luck to you as well on your Level 1 launch!

rstaff3--Thanks for the welcome and the tip (once again) about posting pictures of my rocket.
I am glad to see that even though you made the "mistake" of not posting photos as often as you should have, that you are alive and well!! This gives me hope.

Well I hope I responded to all that said hi and gave me a nice welcome to the forum. If I missed you I am very sorry and please remember this:

Janet is a moron at times and it is perfectly fine to laugh and make fun of her.

It must be okay because I am still friends with Kermie...and we ALL know how he can be, right?

:rolleyes:

Allamericngrl - I never said that *I* tortured the people to death that failed to post pics... I just stated that they *were* tortured to death.

That's a HUGE difference.

*I* am a perfect gentleman. ;)

Now, you are absolutely right about Phil - ya better watch out for him. You know that anyone who will abuse poor, defenseless little cows is likely to do anything.

And yes, we all know how Kermie can be.... mean and green. just like any other frog. And, a major instigator.....

Instigator? Me? You accuse me of that after how I defended you when Phil was saying that you....err...oops. Never mind.

Oh, and the reason I talk about rockets all the time is that the maintenance crew show up holding very large staple guns when I start talking religion or politics.

You see, guys...I'm getting a particular kick out of Janet's L1 construction because, the entire time I was building my L1 bird, I was nervous as all get out. Every time I brought it up at work, she would give me crap about being nervous. Weelllllllll...guess what? She can barely bring up this attempt without visibly starting to shake.

Hmmm...I think I'll swipe the instructions from the reload kit before I hand it to her.......

Originally posted by KermieD

Hmmm...I think I'll swipe the instructions from the reload kit before I hand it to her.......

Cruel. Exceedingly cruel. Like I said - MEAN and green.

Ken, I am so sorry that I thought it was you who tortured the people who didn't post pics. I can tell that you are a true gentleman and that you definitely know Kermie well.

I'm with you...Kermie is mean and green! How could he think about hiding the reload directions on me? Especially since I considered him my coach and my tutor. sheesh.:confused:

Note to self: Don't be too mean to Kermie he has to sign off as one of the people for your Level 1 Cert.

Hiding the directions WOULD be a torture worse than death I think. Kermie is telling the truth about me being nervous...he may need to drive me the 2 hours it takes to get down to Bong for the launch because I don't know if my nerves will be able to take it. haha

Welcome, Janet,

Like Cutt said, stay out of the water. Heaven knows I've been in it enough to rescue rockets!!

Good luck on your Level 1 but don't be in a too big a rush. Take your time to learn and enjoy rocketry. You've come to the right place and the TRF guys are the best.

Be sure to take your time on the priming and sanding phase of your construction. The rocket surface is just like a canvass and your paint will only look as good as your prep. Let the paint fully dry before handling, I let mine dry at least 48 hours. I know it can be boring but it is worth it when it finally goes "whooooosh".

Again, we're all glad you found us.

Swimmer:D

P.S. Oh yeah, where is the pics???

Janet,

A great big welcome to TRF! This place is a blast as you are finding out.

Good luck on your L1, I hope it will be a great success!

Oh, and if some kinda strangely dressed gentlemen show up at your house and tell you they are Vinnie and Tony, the TRF welcome committee, tell them you bought a digital cam today and the pictures are on their way!! (Vinnie is the hungry looking one).:D

Look forward to hearing all about your rocketry experiences...

bmhiii

Apology accepted :-D.

Instructions? Who needs instructions? I knew how to reload reloads before they were even on the market (I drew them all the time). Good thing to.. this prototype AMW (certified but not in production) motor I have in my hands have no instructions...

Take care.
Jim ..... opps, . . . I mean, The Doug!

I finished building my L1 bird about three weeks ago, and I'm afraid to even paint it right now. If I paint it, I might screw it up. if I finish painting it, that means I have to launch it. What if I hit a homer out of the park on my flight? Will my fins stay put? What about my shock cord? What about...what about???? ****, gotta get this over with...lol

Loopy

Originally posted by Allamericngrl
...and still use "dial -up"....okay you CAN laugh, it is really funny.

Don't worry; I'm still on dial-up only because high speed access isn't an option around these here parts [the high speed access providers told me so].

Welcome to TRF!

Allamericngrl - I feel compelled to warn you that Tony and Vinnie are on their way to your house.... seems as though your grace period for getting pictures posted has expired.....

Back