Loc 5.54" V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if any of you out there have bought and built a LOC 5.54" V2.
I wanted to build one for NSL and I was wondering if there were any tips that I should know about before I build it
Thank you :D
Ryan

Never built one myself, but the one thing I've always heard on any V-2 is to give 'er plenty of nose weight.

Thanks I will do that
I also hear there could be a problem joining the plastic boat tail to the wooden fins with epoxy

I heard there are some bonders that work real well for that. I can't think of the name of it right now :(. Maybe Carl or Sandman can give you a hand :).

I have started this thread agian because it is time to paint. I have finished the rocket and flown in once at NSL with an I357-6T. The flight was flawless and there was not damage to the rocket.

I have painted the rocket yellow and am going to paint the White Sands scheme on it.

The question I have is where to end the first check (that is on the nosecone) and start the second. Usually this transition is put where BT ends and NC starts however, the BT seems short and I was thinking maybe this transistion should start above the end of the body tube somewhere on the NC.

Has anyone painted this rocket or seen one painted like this up close?

Ryan .this is what I used for mine ..

mabey it helps

stymye, that does help thanks. By the way your V2 looks awsome!!

the only reason I ask is because the LOC nosecone is huge and I think it may look better if I start the second check right before the NC meets the body.

And thanks to Doug, for loading that motor. I could have loaded the motor but with the new rules just put into place and the fact that I am under 18. Well better to play that one safe.

Don't forget who's personal collection that I357 came out of ;)... I was saving that for my I-ROC... I guess I was in the Sun to long....

Seriously, I promised you an I357 for NSL, but since I could not get my order in time, I gave you one of mine. Even gave you a good deal ;).

True, True.

You got a better deal for that motor though. You ended up making $$$.

Thanks though

what would I do without Doug?

N3tjm, sir, this post is addressed to you.. Every time I have tried to click on a link to an image from "you", it wants me to download the image.. I do not desire to download the image. Nor should anyone else.. You should be able to view the image through internet explorer.. Is it possible that you could possiblely fix this?

Btw, why not simply link the image rather than have everyone download every image you post.. Also, most images are not in the correct format ( jpeg etc ) for some reason according to my machine. The image link you posted tells me it is not as valid Jpeg-jpef file or something another along those lines.. I run paintshop pro and photoshop along with the standard image viewers. If your images are not valid in any of these programs, you have problems with your image format.

thanks, sawacs

I don't have that problem. Doug's images pop right up in Internet Explorer in a new window for me. My guess would be that the problem resides in trying to use another software program to view a .jpg file without downloading it. I've had the same issues in the past with Jasc's Paint Shop Pro when I try to open something directly from the net without downloading it first.

I've never had a problem with Doug's images either. There might be something in your settings forcing you to download rather than view...

Loopy

Right click a jpeg image, select open with, select Internet Explorer, and click "Always use selected program to open this kind of file." The procedure and message may be different depending on version of Windows you are using.

I hate it when you install a program, it takes over the default settings... :(

works for me everytime. Of course if everyone had Macs then everything would be that simple.

Anyway today I am going to start to mask the bottom of the V2. Hopefully, Doug will come over and I will work on a bunch of rockets with him

Um... actually, I had more problems using MACs to open files off the net... thats why I always brought my own computer to school (back in the day), and I use a lower quality mpegs on my website.... I want MAC users to be able to view the videos.... so that leaves out the fancy stuff. That is also why I only use pure HTML on my personal site... try to make it viewable for everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissin MAC's, PC's have their share of problems too. I use both MACS and PCs all the time, so I see the plus and minuses of both systems.

I know Doug I know. I was just giving you a hard time.

With Macs new operating system you can do all the things you mentioned. But with the old ones you are right. You couldnt open up files or veiw webpages well but luckily that has been changed.

MAC made a good decision useing Unix/Linux as an operating system :). Even Microsoft is copying Linux's features. XP has an almost Linux feel to it someplaces.

I agree, and the greatest part about it is it never crashes!

Thanks for the reply and sorry from straying off the subject.. I have every default windows xp viewer known to man along with photoshop and paintshop.. Every viewer along with internet explorer comes back and says the image is not a valid jpeg file.. I will not bother anyone with this problem again but rather not try and open the images..:) This is the first time I have ever come across an issue like this...

sawacs

thats okay!!

Well Doug came over my house yesterday. We build rockets all day!.

toward the end of the day I taped of the bottom of the V2. It looks about scale and I am going to go put some black on there now.

Well I am almost done painting the V2. I just need to put the little silver stripe on the Nosecone. I must say it looks pretty good considering I eyeballed the whole thing.

it will fly agian this weekend on a J500. I have learned how to load the motor I am scared of losing it or it crashing or something goin wrong. But you know...why do we do this...I guess if I didn't launch it there would be no fun in the rocket at all :D

*gulp*

I hope it works

I know it hase been a long time since I have done anything on this thread but, I thought I would show everyone the completely finished and painted V2 flying on a Pro I285.

.......Makes my heart pound...
nothin like a V2 under power!

I kinda think of it as the 57 chevy of rockets!.

nice job Ryan , one sweet little rocket!!

and here it is agian on a J230 EX red motor. This flight utilized dual deployment, which was hard to do in the V2

Back