Casings Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which layout do you like best?

• Layout A

• Layout B

• Layout A

• Layout B

Results are only viewable after voting.

jetra2

Reaction score
Quick poll and question:

The poll:
Which type of casing are better in value and ease of use?

A. Aerotech 38mm H and I casings
B. Dr. Rocket 38mm H and I casings
C. Pro 38 G, H and I casing

And the question:
Are any of the Pro 38 one grain reloads below the 62.5 gram limit?
I'm thinking of buying the casings for use in rockets that I build for L1, but want to flight test before the cert flight.

Welllll.... first of all, Dr. Rocket is a licensed manufacturer of Aerotech designed casings. Sooooo.... there is no discernible difference between the Aerotech casings and the Dr. Rocket casings, except that one says.... Aerotech, and the other says.... yup, you guessed it - Dr. Rocket !!!

Which are better in value? Hmmmm... I have both, and I can't really think of which I would put a higher value on.

Ease of use? The Pro38's are *definitely* easier to use. Take the DAT (Delay Adjustment Tool) and adjust the delay, then just screw the reload into the casing. Done.

You have to assemble the ATs. Now, mind you, for me, that's kind of a neat process if I am in the mood to "build" a motor. Sometimes I enjoy doing that. It's a different feeling of accomplishment.

Both are cool, and I enjoy both.

But, if you are going for ease of use... Pro38.

JMHO - Ken

P.S. - oh yeah - almost forgot - I *think* that the regular Pro38 1 grain reloads are below (or right on?) the 62.5 gram limit. Actually, I believe the theory is that the individual grains that are contained in the regular Pro38 1 through 6 grain reloads are at or below the 62.5 grain limit per grain.

IMHO Ken is right about the US version CTI grains being under or at 62.5g. That's the purpose of the US version. The original were not and required a LEUP. Don't anyone ask whether the delay will boost the G over 62.5g - this is a gray area.

After May, any grain that can be used in a motor with a total propellant mass over 62.5g will require a LEUP. This may be gray for the CTI reload since the grain is packaged and not loose. It is less gray for the once planned AT 38mm G assuming it uses the same grain as H and up reloads. Ken, you understand the new rules this way?

The CTI reloads used to be a tad more expensive than the AT loads, but that may have changed. The hardware is certainly cheaper.

The G79SS (Smokey Sam) was $20.95 and the H153 was $27.95. More expensive that AeroTech, but available. The casings are less expensive than Aerotech/Dr Rocket. What drew me was the <62.5 gram per grain weight and ease of assembly and cleaning. The ProDat tool ($13.95) is a neat innovation. It lets you decide at the time of launch where to set your delay. I've seen a lot of Pro38's launched but never had experience with one of my own. I also enjoy assembling my own Aerotech motors. The Pro38's, open motor package, set delay, install ignitor, screw assembly into case, install in rocket and "Oh Joy", I can't wait. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it! :D :D

Swimmer

Currently you do not need a LEUP for the standard propellant, but I believe you do for the Smoky Sam. After May, a LEUP or LUP will be required for all of them, unless J. Wickman's effort is successful. This doesn't mean Giant Leap won't sell you the Smoky Sam without LEUP, just that I think they are incorrect.

I thought the thermoplastic business had to do with the binder, which lets them maufacture the motor more efficiently (extrude the grains?). They still use AP.

???

Yup, let's be clear.

a) the "standard propellant" in 1-6G motors do not, today require an LEUP, as they did a US version with the grains that are <62.5g per each

b) the Smokey Sams (SS), do require an LEUP as the grain weight is above 62.5g

And as everyone else has said, after May, with the exception of the 1G standard propellant. *ALL* of them will require an LEUP to purchase and transport.

Bummer aint it. I'd fly them exclusively if I could. While they are *slightly* more expensive than an AT reload, they are usally well better from an impulse basis than the same AT reload. And they are in effect a SU motor. While you screw the reload into the casing, there is nothing more to them. And clean up, what cleanup. You let them cool down, unscrew the reload, throw it away, and *maybe* wipe a little residue off from where the BP charge is.

Oh, that probably will take the 1G out of the running, the BP is already loaded into these motors. So if that continues and we aren't successful at the HSA/SEA removal of model rocket motors. You'll need an LEUP to purchase any of them... Major bummer for those without and LEUP.

I'll tell you from first hand experience however, the Smokey Sams are Kick Butt motors. I flew my PML Eclipse on one a couple of weeks back, a 6G J400SS and it was awesome.

Video link below.

Link to my Pro38 J400SS flight

Alan

I have used various Aerotech, Dr. Rocket and Pro38 casings and reloads. Out of all of these, the Pro38 really shines for cost and ease of use.

The motor assemble for the Pro38 is extrememly simple and quick. Plus the Pro 38 reloads use the same delay that can be easily adjusted in 3 second increments with their DAT tool. No more having to search for the right reload/delay combination.

Cleanup is a breeze since the entire reload is encased in a plastic sleeve. Just unscrew the reload and slide it out of the casing. A quick wipe with a cloth and you're done.

The Pro38 hardware is also much cheaper than same size hardware from Aerotech or Dr. Rocket.
Overall Pro38 really kicks butt!

I have the complete Aerotech 38mm harware set for the H and I loads. The only Pro38 case I own is the 1 Grain. I also own a Kosdon 38/640 motor.

The Aerotech hardware are more expensive, and require more loads, but the loads can (and usually are) cheaper than Pro38. Pro38 is cool for missile like flights... the Somkey Sam is cool... but I want a White Lightning look alike.... that *may* be coming soon... but I don't want to say to much about that...

My Kosdon TRM 38/640 case is real cool. It works with Kosdon and Kosdon by Aerotech loads (although I never tried them yet), and I have a stash of J500 Super Tiger loads that I use with it...

Either option... we have to wait until are bill passes... but when it does.. we should all have access to those cool Smokey Sam motor :D

My vote is for Pro 38. Much easier to load and unload/clean-up. I seen lots of forward closures fail with aerotech and dr. rocket. I look forward to trying the Pro 54 soon.

Randy
NAR #80885, L1

Forward closure failure is the most common cause of failure in aerotech loads.... 99% of the time is user error. That is why Aerotech includes the RMS Plus delays now... so it seals so much better... and you can physically remove the forward closure with the ejection charge installed. Before... if you disturbed the delay grain when the closures were loosened, bp could leak under the o-ring. The RMS+ solves that problem. Another cause is the o-rings get dirt on them if you are not careful where you set them. Dirt is BAD!!!

Pro38 is nice, but rather expensive. Kind of takes the fun out of it though.... :)

Originally posted by n3tjm
takes the fun out of it though.... :)
yea when your assembing a reload it makes you look smart and know what your doing (often if its your first reload then you probably dont;) ) to the parser by

matt

Latest posts

Back