2 stage electronics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
hello peoples

i was wondering with dual deployment would a current of 190 mj light a high power igniter for a second stage or would it only do a little tiger tail igntor

by the way would it deploy a parachute too??????
i think this is probably a bad question anyways

cheers laters

I'm not sure exactly what you mean... but 180 mJ isn't very much OOMPH. I read an article in an old (1992-ish) American Spacemodeling on igniters and it gave me the following numbers:

• A 4" Copperhead requires 7.6 Joules to ignite
  • An Estes igniter requires 1.2 Joules to ignite
  • A typical Daveyfire electric match (doesn't specify 28B or 28F) requires 0.4 Joules to ignite
  • A Quest Tigertail requires 1.2 Joules to ignite

So, from those figures, it doesn't look like 180 millijoules would light an igniter. One piece of advice that I have never forgotten is to GROUND TEST EVERYTHING. It is better for it to not light on the ground then to not light in the air and waste a booster motor. What electronics are you planning on using? There are some great timers out there that will do what you need to do, such as the blacksky Timer2N or the Missileworks PET<sup>2</sup> timer. Good luck with your project.

Latest posts

Back