REALLY BIG Little Joe II!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
This is an ambitious project being built by Quark, Carl's local club.

https://quarkers.org/lj2/lj2.htm

Carl has asked me to make the nose cone for the capsule.

I have the wood and I'm ready to glue it up , I'm just waiting on the design details from the club.

This is the capsule nose cone.

sandman

OK, now that last picture was of the capsule nose cone.

The picture shows that it is 7.38" in diam.....Weeeeeell that is just the TIP of the Apollo capsule...hehehehe...this honker is BIG!

In this next drawing notice the capsule (from the first drawing) under the escape tower. For reference the escape tower will have 4 - 29mm motor mounts!

The base of the heatshield is 16" in diameter!

sandman

those thing look really kool id like to see one fly they must go nice and slow off the pad the way i like it

I came home today to a really cool surprise...

...A package from Sandman sitting at my door. I opened it to find a piece of art, the nosecone for the Apollo Capsule of our club's 16" upscale of a Little Joe II. The project is well underway, but this was one of the many items we still had to finish.

I gotta tell ya, the wood grain looks cool! :) I posted the message on our club board and will deliver it to the build site this week. Sandman, what are the chances of cracking or shrinkage?...it looks too good to risk that, so if we have to glaze it with West, we will...let me know.

You gotta see the pics...even the holes were drilled at precicely 3.5 degrees... Thanks a Million Sandman!!!

Oh yes, pics: https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?dir=lj2

Carl

Carl, have 'em coat the whole thing in West. That will keep it stable.

Top, bottom inside and out!

I would have but I'm running low on West epoxy.

sandman

Back