Altimeter off & on Switch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
I have a Missle Works altimeter. Could someone recommend a good off & on switch that I could mount on the out side of the rocket to cut this altimeter on and off? Maybe one from Radio Shack?

There are several to choose from. Some people like the key type switches that you use a key to turn on and off the switch. These are very reliable, but are on the big side, and there is a chance that you would forget to turn on the switch. Then there is the regular slide switches. These are easy to use, but can wear out, can be accidently thrown in flight, and you might forget to turn it on. I like to use sterio jacks, using a plug with a streamer attached to it. The only problem with this is they are fragile and may be subject to shorting themselves out during sudden changes of speed.

My favorite switch is the high-detent kind from MissileWorks or Now Hybrids. They are slightly expensive, but they have an extremely positive on-off, and they can't bounce or be turned off in flight.

Oh, and if you forget to turn your altimeter on, then you need a checklist ;)

The Missile Works On & Off switch is really nice, thank you but is there a good switch that I can get from Radio Shack so that I don’t have to mail order and wait???

Does RS have the 120/240 type flush style switch. The kind where you put a blade screw drive in the slot and turn it. I'm sure you've seen them on appliances. if so, these would be the most preferred. No switch jitters. They are three conductor so you could ground your charges if you like, etc.

I'm sure you've seen them or go to www.aeroconsystem.com and look at them. They should be easily available and are very nice as they are almost flush!

Alan

Back