Level 3 Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocwizard

Reaction score
For all you L3 certified peoples out there, I've got a few questions.

1) Did you have your rocket designed before you first spoke with your TAP/L3CC members?

2) How many of you had to change something on the rocket because the TAP/L3CC members were unsatisfied with something?

3) How many times did you meet with your TAP/L3CC members during the construction of the rocket?

4) What kind of questions did the overseeing members ask when you met with them?

rocwizard:D

Carl.... Phil.... WAKE UP !!!! time for you to get busy here.

- Ken

Rocwizard,

It's going to be a bit winded...fair warning... ;)

1 - Yes, I had my L3 designed and drawings/documents printed, along with material specs prior to discussing it with my TAP. I met both TAP's casually at our local TRA Mid Ohio launch...I had flown with them before and one of the TAP's was our prefect and actually certed me L1 in what seemed way back then. When I decided to attempt an L3 launch, I made sure I was prepared and even brought my assembled Deployment unit, which gave them a good idea of my large rocket design and construction techniques. Also note that a month later, I made one of my trips to Whitakers and spoke with Mark Lloyd, who is the NC TAP and he also viewed my docs and deployment unit. As it turned out, Mark was the one that certed me for my TRA L3 about a year later. Forgot to mention, all three TAP's received copies of my docs...a nice courtesy on your part.

Note that most TAP's attend your launches and you talk to them about rockets just like everyone else. Most of them have seen you fly, seen what you fly and have a feel for your capabilities. When I said I had mine designed, my TAP's already knew me and had flown with me; remember they are great guys, experienced in building and flying large rockets and are happy to assist you and make your L3 successful. They are more than happy to advise you...after all, they ARE "Advisors".

2 - Upon showing my TAP's the design, they did a thorough examination of my documents and drawings and came up with "suggestions" to include extending my allthread in the booster unit to further support the shockcord Bulkhead. Also, they recommended I "pin" the bodytube to the frame using finishing nails. Note that these were sugggestions of techniques I had not yet used in my L1 and L2 endeavours, so their input proved invaluable and very useful...yes, I did exactly what they suggested.

I met with my TAP's the first time and they examined the deploy unit. The next time was many months later, after the airframe was built but before painting. We actually assembled the rocket and stood it up inside my TAP's home...his cathedral ceiling was just tall enough to clear the 12' of rocket length. He had no suggestions and was happy with the construction...as I like to say, you build them strong and there will usually be no problem.

The final time I met with them was the day of the launch...we were rained out, but I let both TAP's examine the model in it's finished state as I feel they deserved a look at what they had helped me with...I was glad they could see the finished product. As is, I wound up Certing the following month with TAP Mark Lloyd in Whitakers, whom had also seen me fly in the past.

4 - Not sure what you mean here...I was not asked many questions, with the exception of construction techniques and materials used that they could not visibly see.

I must say that I have friends that are happy with Sport to L2 rocketry and many have no desire to certify or advance their cert. Some enjoy HPR and pick a cert that is in their "price-range", a very wise move on their part. The last thing you want to do is get a certification that allows you to fly MAYBE one a year...not worth it in my oppinion. I personally still enjoy very much launching L1 and L2 rockets, heck, I have a blast with MicroMaxx!!! That is the beauty of the hobby, it is so diverse, which makes it one of the best hobbies I have ever enjoyed!

What I am getting at is what many L3's will ask/tell you...

"...Why do you want to certify L3?"

I myself really enjoy designing and building full scale military missiles; structural integrity, new and stronger building techniques and electronics design and construction are just a few of the building stages I enjoy. But if you are in it for a "merit badge", don't waste your time and money; you could have alot more fun and many more launches on what one L3 bird would cost you...just my oppinion.

Hope this Helps,

Carl Tulanko
TRA 08664 L3
NAR 79454 L3
L3 Website:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/amraam

I'm telling you... these guys are hibernating awaiting the Spring thaw and the April Whitakers launch. :)

hahaha....

Heck no Milo...we are in the workshop building some new L3 birds for the up and coming season!!! :D

Carl

That's what I said... hibernating! Rocketry Hibernating! :)

Bears sleep, rocketeers build. :D

Thanks Carl, that helps alot! But I have one more question. How do you go about getting the TAP members to "sign up" for your project?Basically, how did you approach them about overseeing your attempt?

rocwizard

Back