Level 1 Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Well, here it is!

She's started gettin' ready for Whitiker in April.

I had to sand the WHOLE thing down to the epoxy coating under all the white paint.

I've given it a light coat of primer to find all the imperfections...actually it helps show up the 4 or 5 years of bumps dents and cracks in the surface from bouncing around my garage, my shop and other "not so friendly"storage locations.

Note the single 29mm motor mount and the 4 24mm motor mounts.

The original concept was to fly it on one G80 and 4 Estes E15 sustainer motors...then Estes dropped the E 15.

Now, after I lengthen the 29mm motor mount and add some positive motor retention, she will be ready for a 29mm "H" reload.

I will retain the 4 - 24mm motor mounts. I might want to use the original engine configuration G and 4 E's some time in the future.

The yardstick is for reference she is 47.25" long...so far.

Now let me get started on the rivet detail...where is the Elmer's?

The angle I took the picture is kinda decieving. The body is 27.25" long and the nose cone is a WHOPPING 20" long...almost as long as Carl's HARM nose cone!

sandman

Maybe I should give some more specifications.

The body tube is 3" in diam. It was a packing tube from a rope swing! (FREE!)

The nose cone is 2 scrap pieces of 2x4 glued together, turned on the lathe and hollowed out to about 3/8" wall thickness. (FREE!)

The fins are 1/4" oak plywood scraps from some woodworking project. (Free!)

The 4 centering rings are also 1/4" oak ply scraps (also FREE!)

Engine tubes are about $2.

Parachute is a 48" cargo chute (Army surplus store $1.50!)

Everything was soaked (including the fins) in very thin West system epoxy for a smother finish. (I have a lot of West epoxy laying around...doesn't everybody?)

I haven't weighed it yet but my guess is under 3# with out motor.

sandman

Dude, she looks great. I can't wait till April. So, you gonna use her for your level 1. It is going to be an event to remember.

"If you aint coming to Whitakers in April, then you are missing out." :D

That is one cool looking bird Sandman.
Plus it didn't cost that much to make

Here is my problem.

The fins on this model are 1/4" plywood with a diamond (I guess that's what ya call it) profile and knife edges on the leading and trailing edges.

Over the years since I first built it, the edges have taken a lot of abuse in storage. Lots of dings and dents, some rather deep.

I'm looking for ideas to repair this problem short of replacing the fins. They are TTW to the motor mount so replacement is NOT an option.

I need ideas to repair the edges to restore the knife edge on them. Perhaps a ply veneer covering or some type of putty (it's gotta be really strong 'cause they are thin!).

So far I'm leaning towards a 1/64" ply veneer.

sandman

I would toss some 1/2 or 3/4 oz glass cloth over it. The epoxy/cloth will cover the dents and add some strength. Excess epoxy at the leading and trailing edges is shaped to a new edge...should work fine.

...besides, it's not like you ran out of West Systems or anything! :D

Carl

For a high power rocket, I'll go with what Carl said. Personally, I'd first fill the dents with a light sandable epoxy filler, or even fill'n'finish if they are not too big.

Sandman,
That should make a really good L-1 rocket ,,,,the weight looks to be just right for a good flight/recovery.
good job on the nosecone btw..did you hollow it out first?..if not how did you chuck it in the lathe to hollow it?just being curious.

sty

I turned it on the lathe first.

Then I drilled, hacked wittled gouged and used every tool i own to hollow it out.

Finally used some really nice carving tools (Made in Switzerland)
to finish it to a uniform 3/8" thickness.

I was really bored....

sandman

Fins are all fiberglassed. Just need sanding.

sandman

Here is the nose cone partially glassed.

Carl....this may shock you...my bench is a little messy...

OK a LOT messy!!!

sandman

OMG...I am gonna have a heart attack looking at the bench!!! Beautiful job so far Sandman, the NC and Fins look great man...

...now, about that work area..... ;)

Carl

High five on that work area. You've just done wonders for my self-esteem! :D

it looks alot like mine....

oh... and the nike looks great too!

SEEEE!

Evereybody keeps saying, Carl is the weird one!

sandman

Shhhh...don't push Carl over the edge just yet. I need his help and advice for a while.

Originally posted by sandman
SEEEE!

Evereybody keeps saying, Carl is the weird one!

sandman

Carl is the weird one? Having known Carl for 15 years, I can tell you with certainty that's the understatement of the millenium.

But then, .... Carl's all right, regardless of what we all say about him !!!! ;)

It's not his fault that he's a hyperactive insomniac with too much free time on his hands who is in desperate need of a real job and a wife to keep him out of trouble..... :D :D

Well, FINALLY! it's warm enough to paint! Primer anyway.

sand, prime, fill...sand, prime, fill...sand, prime, fill...

THIS IS BORING!!!

Back to it. The Nike Smoke is coming along...slowly.

sandman

Well, it's been a long time since I posted on the Nike Smoke but the weather has NOT cooperated.

I got about 60 different things to get done before Whitakers!

She now has a base coat of flat white. The Gloss comes next followed by the Three red fins and one yellow fins then decals and details.

Internally she is ready, shock cord motor mount extended and motor retainer added. The only construction she needs is installation of the launch rail guides.

I'm working on it...now I just gotta get Carl's tailcone finished!

sandman

daveyfire,

She'll fly on an H128 M (I think:confused: ) at Whitaker April 25th or 26th.

Great news! I got the white paint all finished...still no pics...it looks like the primer only white!

I will wait a little more than a week or so then mask off and paint the fins (3 red and 1 yellow fin) then put on the decals and she's ready to fly!

sandman

GO SAND GO !!!!

Glad to hear you got some paint on your "Smoke". You will soon load up your truck and be on your way to NC. You say all thats left is the fins, your almost there!
Good luck once again to you and Kermie and all the others who plan on attempting cert flights...... Punch holes in the skies!!!!!
You all will do just fine.

Cutt~

Sandman, your rocket looks really great! Awesome job.

Best of luck on your Level 1 launch. After seeing the pics, you don't need luck though...it's gonna fly GREAT!
Have a terrific time shooting it off!:)

Janet

How did you sand the fins to get a consistent "knife" edge? I am working on a Nike Smoke kit from Cosmodrome with birch ply fins and would like to do the same.

I used a stationary belt sander.

I got a used one for $3 (old Sears model) from a second hand store with a burned out motor. I used an old moter from an small washing machine to fix it...works great!

But I just sanded them by eye.

sandman

Back