New Arreaux

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm a fairly new BAR (first flight was Nov. 3rd), and wanted to share a story with a very happy ending...
My first BAR kit was an Aerotech Arreaux. It flew twice on Econojet F20's and it was a real hoot to see. Unfortunately the motor casings ejected on both flights, but left enough pressure to blow the chute. However, four shroud lines popped on the second flight so it came in on a streamer. Ended up with a dented tail and broken motor hook...and for some reason the "F" spacer adhered itself inside the motor mount.
I'm happy to report that Aerotech just informed me they'll be shipping a replacement kit next week. This is great news 'cause I love the Arreaux. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know of some great customer service 'cause I know they've taken some hits in the past.
Also, any tips on modifying the new kit? I'm thinking that thing could really scream on an H motor if it's built right...

:rolleyes:
Sorry ya'll, thought I was posting to the mid-power forum! But hey, got a question anyway.
Can anyone offer some opinions on Binder's Stealth? I want to build it for my L1 project but can't find any reviews at EMRR.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! I don't have any experience with the Stealth, but I built a Binder Design Sentinel and enjoyed the kit. One piece of advice to give with a Binder Design kit is that you should glaze the centering rings and bulkhead plate with epoxy. Masonite will expand if it gets wet (or so Mike Fisher at Binder Design mentioned on another thread and I have no reason to doubt him).

One piece of advice if you've never done HPR....DO NOT forget motor retention. I just used blind T-nuts and mirror clips on mine, which worked fine, but if you're going to do that, you need to remember to get the T-nuts in the aft centering ring before you epoxy it in.

Most of all, enjoy it. I know you'll be nervous as all get-out building your first HPR bird, but really...more of them go right than go wrong. If I can do it, anyone can.

So the kits don't come w/ motor retention? I was thinking Binder's new "motor collar" deal came standard.
Got a question about thrust rings, come to think of it. On reloadable motors, does the aft closure also serve as a thrust ring?
Met Barry Lynch (LOC) at my first launch and he was singing the praises of good ol' masking tape. The guy obviously knows what he's doing but it would probably have Tim Allen-ish results if I tried it...::D

I don't know if the kits come with the collar now. Mine didn't. I'm the same way with the Tim-Allenish results. If there's a way to screw something up, I'll find it and masking tape retention on a HPR motor fits that bill. I do know that the guy who certified me told me that he would never cert someone using masking tape motor retention. I don't know if that's just him or if it's a rule. I think I saw it on the checklist, so you might need "positive retention" for a cert flight. I'm sure Carl the Tulanko will know, as he's certified many fliers.

To answer your other question, yes. The aft closure acts as a thrust ring. Also, get the kit with the 54mm motor mount. You never know when you might want to fly something bigger and you can always get an adapter to go down to 38mm.

I don't have any personal experience with the Stealth kit but, I can say that it was on my list of kits to buy. I would've already had it had I not found a great deal on a LOC EZI-65. As far as the Stealth goes, it looks like a great kit and I'd recommend it.

Hey EveryBody

I have a Arreux kit I've only flown twice but bother were very interesting flights the first was on a G80 engine ( by the way i havn't even gluing the fins to the motor mount and the centering rings hadn't been glued to the airframe so my rocket had only been clipped together) ne ways on the G80 engine I hadn't even glued the base of the payload bay to the bit of cardboard that you stick it to so the parachute failed because it had to pass through the payload bay as well as the body tube

The second flight it was a perfect flight but the parachute came out to late and it drifted to this Quarry cliff by the launch area the fell down the cliff damaging one launch lug and all three fins

The Aerotech Aerreaux, (Pronounced "Aero") was my first large scale rocket when I got back into Rocketry as well. The Aereaux was a joy to put together, and flies just as well. My only beef, was I'm no good at stickers, so the Aerreaux sticker never made it on my rocket, at least not straight.

On a windless day, put a G64-10 in her and let her do her thing, and that is "Scoot" another motor this Bird liked was an F40-10, but more often than not, I flew the Aerreaux on the F22 BlackJack reload.

I have seen the Aerreaux made for Dual deployment by a Gentleman named Alan K. Adamson, he has posted here before, and I believe he has a link to his Aerreaux page. With Altimeters so small now, I would like to build another and do just that, and then let it rip on the R.A.T.T. Works H70 Hybrid..."the Future is Not Solid"

My Arreaux was put in to service on a cold Febuary launch in 1998, it has since been retired now for a year...

Good Day

Johnnie Paul

Back