UPS express...R.I.P.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaverickLV

Reaction score
This past Sat. I flew the now famous box rocket at our monthly club NEPRA launch. It got quite a bit of attention...I guess that happens when there is a 9x6x36 box out at the far pad. I loaded it up with an I211 and according to my math and the rocksim simuation on it, it would travel to 1500'. Well, the motor kicked to life and shot out a flame that was at least three feet long. It asscended perfectly straight...not one curve even in the moderate winds. It arched over and the charge fired but the chute failed to puch the flaps open at the front of the box...either the tape failed to break or the wind resistance was too much. Anyway, it came in hard and the entire forward section was destroyed. However, because the boost was succesful, I will be rebuilding a new, larger one with a different deploy system and a 54mm MMT for a J275W.

I am thinking about rear ejection deployment for the chute on this new one...I am not sure how to do this since I have never done it before. Some help?

BTW- here is the site with the two pics of the rocket/flight:

Launch Pics

Just click on 11/9 to see the pics.

Dave

I have been talking about it for awhile now so I guess I owe you all some pics...
Attached and below are four pics. The first is of the original UPS Express box rocket that core sampled on the first flight. Second through fourth are of of the new upscale UPS Express.

The Upscale weighs in at 17.5 lbs., is 48x10x10 and has a 54mm MMT. It has dual three inch parachute tubes for the dual 60" chutes (tubes with blue caps). It will fly on a K550 as soon as I get a K550. There is 4 lbs. of nose weight in this thing.

David

I like the "Rocket" tick-box, written in at the bottom of the list. :D

I also found the list of 'real' items amusing too: Lamp - Golf Clubs - Garden Tools - Rifle!! :eek: It might not mean much over your side of the pond, but over here you can be arrested for even hinting about carrying anything which might look a little bit like a gun! It just seems so alien seeing a gun listed amoungst general, everyday, household-type objects!

Looks like a great rocket though, very original. The launch piccy on your site looks fab; can't wait to see the ones from Mk2! :D

The funny thing about this thread is that I look at boxes in a whole new light. i.e. - "Hmm, I wonder if this pizza box would go on a G80."

That's pretty neat stuff! Right now I'm looking at my cordless phone wondering what it would take to get it to fly! Rockets - they are all around us - just put 4 fins and MMT and WHAM! <- a la Emeril!

Hey Eugene, if It was Emeril, He would have to kick it up about 10 notches with masive amounts of essence and pork fat, and go BAM!:DBAM!:DBAM!:D and then fly it. But then to make the audience happy, he would give it a nice big shot of rum:D (YA MON!) under the nozzle for effect. :D

Hmmm,
I was thinking about spicing it up with some flames painted on the outside...but I like the rough look of the box.

I was also thinking about putting in two 29mm motor mounts when I was building it but I figured that a J275 would be more than enough to lift it and that if I wanted more height I could go up to J415...now the smallest motor this thing will go on is a K550!

Wow, talk about underestimating the weight...just goes to show that you should always put the largest motor mount possible in the rocket and then adapt down...now I wish I had put in twin 38mm and a 75mm...that would be some power...an M1315 and twin I366:D

I know the feeling about never looking at anything the same way again. We just got a grill and the box was like 8 feet by 4 feet by 6 feet...what do you guys think...an N2000:D

David

Originally posted by MaverickLV

I know the feeling about never looking at anything the same way again. We just got a grill and the box was like 8 feet by 4 feet by 6 feet...what do you guys think...an N2000:D

David

N2000!!! WOOHOO!!!! Heck, yeah, you should do it!

There are things all around us that'll fly. I think that anything WILL fly if given the proper amount of thrust. Heck, the members of THOR here near Tampa flew a TREE BRANCH once on a D12-0!
They figured the CG, and let it fly. Eugene knows the story.

Jason

Hahaha...a tree branch...hahahaha...hmmmm...(looking at my old, very hated computer monitor accross the room in a very different way) ;)

I WILL fly a box on an N2000...once my summer job starts paying me, a 16 year old, $400 a week...maybe some day.

David

I go into the art room at school and everything could fly. I take left over parts home and make them into rockets

we were doing plyhedra in geometry ... hmm I wonder how well those plastic pyramids would fly...or that cylinder

Hmmm,
I was thinking about spicing it up with some flames painted on the outside...but I like the rough look of the box.

Here's an idea! Why not paint it the color scheme of the UPS race truck? (See attached picture) It has flames AND the UPS brown w/ logo! I think THAT would be a SWEET scheme!

Don't you just hate it when you forget to attach the picture? Sorry bout that! See attachment, for real!

David [/B]

That's one heck of a grill! What kind? I work in a Wal Mart garden shop. We sell grills. Never seen a box that big.

Here ya go. I did some quick 2-minute photo manipulation using the UPS logo and flames. Whatta ya think? I think it works!

nice!!!....man that thing is gonna be so cool when it flys

Wow, nice photo manipulation. That does look sweet! Hmm, I think after the first flight I will paint it like that. I just want to make sure everything will work before I start spending time on a paint scheme like that...I'd cry if it crashed then:kill:

I like the way you think though:D

The first flight will be on either a K695R or a K550. What do you guys think...is the K695 too much umph for a cardboard box?

Also, the grill is new Weber...Silver class I think...the grill is about 7' long assembled and it has a sideburner, etc.

David

I say go with the redline! heck, i'd say go with a K1275 redline I you had the nerve to do it!:D

I've got the nerve... to put a L850 in it but that won't fit and I would like to see it fly twice:D

Does anyone know the calculation to use to figure out how many pounds of pressure are going to be on the nose of the rocket at a certain speed?

David

PS: I wanted to fly it on a K670GG at NSL but there was no motor for me.

Don't ask me. I couldn't even get my fins to survive a K670GG. :(

Mark...shush. You were the one who told me not to worry about 'em. ;)

I was wondering if it was the same box rocket. It looked cool at NSL but I only saw the back end. I love green gorrilas!!!!!!

Yep, the back end you saw was it. Dad and I never even got a chance to unpack it...didn't unpack practically anything over the weekend because of lack of flying time.

David

Back