where do tehy come up with the money?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
I was just wondering....
I was reading Extreme Rocketry and I see these huge LDRS rockets, and on websites I see rockets weighing well over 50lbs. Like Wedge Oldhams Nike-Hercules. That thing cost tons of money to build and to buy the engines. So I ask where in the world do they get all that money to build those thousands of dollars rockets, and buying all those huge and powerful engines? do they have sponsers?

Well, I'm seriously considering either picking up a paper route or a part time job myself. So many rockets to build and so little $$$!

They are single with no kids (or alimony)... like me. :D

Gerbs,

I cannot speak for the rest of the "big" rocketeers out there, but can tell you how I do it and what I have seen.

First, having some extra cash is a plus because, as you noted, many of these rockets are over $1000 just in parts, not to include a similar amount for propellant. This income could come from a good job and low expenses, or from spreading you building over a year's time. You could also just be wealthy like the Gates brothers, who actually founded and owned Xircom, a VERY large, successful network card company in the 90's, which they ultimately sold for millions to Intel. They have since retired at a young age as millionares and build big friggin rockets...now THAT would be the ultimate in jobs/retirement plans!

Also note the rate of construction...even the biggest builders rarely construct more than a couple ships a year, while smaller rocket builders and fliers may do dozens or even hundreds of models/kits. The same goes for flights...I rarely see Level 3 fliers launch much during the year...they usually come out for the opening launch of a season and may have a few launches per year, but not much more; there are exceptions, of course, and they are the ones you may see more often. Some save for LDRS and unload all they have there, others spread it out over the season.

Moreover, remember most have already purchased electronics and are used to scratch building and glassing, thus they save alot of money by preparing/making their own components ahead of time. As far as propellant goes, you will see a few sponsors for large projects, but many save up for what they need and buy their propellant across the season.

Well, that's just my idea on how it is done...

Cya,

Carl
L3 Flier

Hare you looked at the Gates Bro's site or seen their rockets? Now those boys spend some mad cash. Thought I heard they are both rich from .coms. Can't vouch for that fact, but if you look up 'big toys for big boys' in the encyclopedia, their picture is there :D

Originally posted by KermieD
Well, I'm seriously considering either picking up a paper route or a part time job myself. So many rockets to build and so little $$$!

You don't get much $$$ from paper routes, Kerm. Trust me, I've got one. :D

I agree...a paper route won't get you much:)

May I suggest getting a job that you enjoy while at the same time making money to use towards your endeavors....simply stated...Do something that you know how to do (ex: Phil can do some serious glassin'...hows the bathroom coming?) and have others pay you for your services. For me, I know how to do some serious painting and so now I am painting other's rockets for a fee. This cash flow pays for my projects and at the same time I get some more experience painting, get exposed to new rocketry related ideas and get a sense of worth and gratitude from just seeing something I painted fly. There is just some sense of pride when I hear someone complement the paint job of that rocket.

If you can't afford to build your own supper huge L3 project, then you might also get involved in a club project (like High Power Virginia's Terrier Sandhawk and their NTropy) so that you can still be there to see it fly and help build it but split the construction and motor costs. Also, clubs usually get more sponsors than individuals because a club can guarentee them plenty of business from their club members later on (At least I think so).

Thirdly, even if you don't get a sponsor, by sticking with one or two vendors for your rocketry needs and standing by them, they are likely to be willing to talk to you about giving you a discount. If you have a nice conversation with the dealer about the project and your shortage of cash and you are a loyal customer, he will most likely cut you a little extra here and there. it also helps to have a good relationship with the dealer...in and out of business. For instance, my favorite dealer is also the person whose rocket I am currently painting. In turn he got me a good price on some parts to replace the booster of T&L (I'll explain this in another thread when I get time...long story).

So in summary, get a fun job, be active in your club, and mix and mingle with others at your launches and around your commmunity.

Just my 2 cents... or maybe a nickel's worth...either way...its only my opinion but it seems to work for me.

David

Guys...I was kidding about the paper route thing. I still have a bartending license and there ain't a whole lot of legal ways to make more money than you can bartending...if I do get a 2nd job, that'll be the one.

Back