Black Brant X

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocwizard

Reaction score
Has anyone here built or flown PML's 4" BBX? I ask because I just got mine the other day and I would like to hear about other peoples experiences with it. But first I will tell you about mine! I ordered mine with all phenolic tubing(to be glassed of course), cut for dual-deployment, upgraded the fin thickness to 0.125", and lastly had the motor tube legthened to accept up to a K1050.
My plans for reinforcement include using a Kevlar sock and a layer of 6 ounce glass on the air frame, all centering rings and bulkheads will have carbon fiber skins. The fins also will be laminated in cabon fiber and and then will be attached to the motor tube with epoxy with Kevlar pulp and tape. Once the fin motor mount assenbly is slid into the booster tube the fins will be glassed tip to tip. And lastly all couplers will be internally laminated with carbon fiber cloth. That was a mouthfull.

Carl I'm relying on you buddy

Eric :D :cool:

Before I begin construction on it I will pick up a digi cam to feed your hunger for pics!!;)

I take it you're planning on complete ejection failure? ;)

Originally posted by KermieD
I take it you're planning on complete ejection failure? ;)

...to add to that, I bet it could land in the street and seem like a mere speedbump if someone drove over it.

Sounds pretty hard core of you ask me!

Best of luck with the project. I of all people could take some notes from your construction methods. I am headed in the direction of higher power and will call on projects like this for reference.

I just dont want to take any chances, plus I just like to over build things. (I am the son that Carl never, but wished he had) hahaha! Plus I already spent $300 on the kit, and I will be spending another 3-400 on electronics(dual ALTACC 2Cs), chutes(dual Rocketman R7 Pro-XPs) and finishing supplies, I might as well spend a little more to make sure it comes back in one piece!!!!:D :D :D

Eric

By the way if you are wondering from my last post how a 14 year can afford this without stealing his parents credit cards, I answer: Holidays, Birthdays,and most importantly four yard work jobs. Thats right four days a week I go and do yardwork to support this great hobby of mine

Eric

Wow, someone I can relate to. Being 15, or in your case 14, doesn't help the cash flow any easier...I know.

Sounds like you have the bases covered. Just know that if you are going to go all out, GO ALL OUT. I have seen sooooo many rockets like yours with endless amounts of money spent in building it and then the person skimps on something stupid during the build or in the preparation to fly it. Whether they get cheap e-matches or use an old battery or use a crappy switch...it is just plain dumb. Also, make sure you use only the best hardware. Large, stainless quicklinks are the way to go. Nothing under 1200 lbs. Also, if you got the cash, you may as well get an aeropack retainer. Might I add that if this is a custom alt bay (not CPR 3000) you might want to try the new giant leap slimline avionics bay.

Just take your time when your building it (sand everything....don't get lazy) and prepping it (doublecheck everything).

David

BTW- My job is my business...I paint rockets for others so...when your done with it and want it painted with a car quality finish with flames or lightning bolts...whatever you want...send me an e-mail:)

David, I will keep you in mind when it comes to finishing this bird.
The electronics bay will be a slimline bay slid into a 3" fiberglass coupler in side of of 4" fiberglass coupler so that that joint will have a lot of much needed rigidity. Instead of using the included tailcone and an aeropack retainer that would cause drag I am using a slimline tailcone retainer. When I build rockets I spare no expense!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well guys, I finally got around to buing all my reinforcement materials for the BBX as well as my three J570 rocket(yet to be named) I ordered 27 feet of Giant Leaps kevlar sock, 10 yards of 6oz S-glass, 1 yard of 5.7oz carbon fiber for the couplers, and 2- 1 gallon kits of medium epoxy from U.S. Composites as well as the pumps. Once my funds are rebuilt I will be buying all my other necesities for the rockets.:D

rocwizard

Well, today after a hard day of doing yardwork and making money I came home to find a package had arrived. Oh could it be... Yes my Kevlar Sock has come for me! (So sue me i'm a bad poet, get over it!) When they advertise this stuff as a sock, they mean it! The stuff is actually quite soft so if you were REALLY bored you could make some socks that would last forever. I gave it a test fit and it went on to the 4" tubes quite easily. I am eager to see the results when I get the tubes laminated! At the time my family is in the process of moving so it will be after Chrismas that I get to start major construction on the BBX. But then "Santa":rolleyes: will have brought some RocketSilo gift certificates and hopefully a digital camera to document this and many more projects! And then of course there will be CASH:D from relatives. THAT will really get my projects moving in the right direction!:D

rocwizard

Well guys... IT'S HERE! Today my cloths and epoxy arrived, and I must say this is some gooood stuff. The carbon fiber is gonna make some STRONG couplers as well as reinforcing bulkheads. The particular weave type that I ordered would make a great looking rocket if you had the means and time to make your own tubes.

I am in my happy place once again!:D

P.S. Thanks guys for recommending U.S. Composites to me, their stuff is far cheaper than WEST SYSTEMS. I am definitely going to use them again!

rocwizard

We have our own local version of US Composites... Sticky Stuff Sales...Marvin will CUSTOM mix you anything you want... fast cure, slow cure, better for cold weather, better for hot weather, etc, etc, etc... Also carries 2lb and 4lb 2-part foam.
a 5-Quart kit, (1gallon resin, 1-quart hardener) is $50...

Ron

Ron Zeppin
AHPRA
XRAA

www.ahpra.org

Back