LOC Magnum construction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPatell

Reaction score
I started building my Loc Magnum, but forgot to document it here:( So, here is a picture of the parts of the Magnum and my Dad's L2 project, a 4" Public Enemy Bull Pup, for scale. The Magnum's fins are all attached, but only one set has fin tab to fin tab of 7.5 oz. glass on them. The rocket has gone together well, and the price was right when I got it from Ken Allen during his 20% off on all LOC kits. It is also stretched because Ken gave me a full length of 5.38" tube for the payload bay instead of the shorter one that came with the kit. Plans are to fly it at my club's Invitational in early September on a single J the first day,(exact motor not decided on yet) and possibly an Aerotech I300 and two 29mm G's or H's.

I was originally planning on flying it on an I80 hybrid with two 29mm H's in the outboards, but the I80 only got my Aerotech HV Arcas to 2000', so that's out of the question. When my Dad apply's for a LEUP, I plan to fly it on 54mm motors, such as the K550:D Look forward to more updates as I build it, and by updates I mean pictures!!!

The picture will be available here:https://www.cybergatetech.com/phpgra...Fmisc/dpatell

I've wanted to get a LOC magnum for a while.... there is kind of a tradition at ROC to have massive LOC magnum drag races on K motors at our multi-day lanches in june and november...... I think this november's one has something like 15 people signed up. I've always wanted to join in.

Some advice on building the magnum that I have gotten from others... make sure to reinforce the flimsy 5.38" coupler tube that comes with the kit... An easy way is to take some fiberglass (2 wraps of 6oz should be plenty) apply it to the inside with epoxy, rolling the fiberglass up and then slowly unrolling it on the inside. Then take a large balloon, and inflate it carefully on the inside to press the fiberglass tightly to the coupler. The balloon likes to move the fiberglass around and using a pump or compressor to fill up the balloon might be a good idea, because epoxy in the mouth is not cool. Lots of people fiberglass the LOC tube and fins to make them more durable, and the fins hang behind the end of the tube, making landing damage to them easier.

Have a great time building it :)

-Brian Barney

David F. Johnson (now deceased) and I built an LOC Magnum for our club. I tried to attach a jpg of the rocket on the pad but the file was too large for TRF.
If you'd like to see it, send me an e-mail and I'll try again at your address.

Well, attached is a link to the finished Magnum! Yup, that's me next to it, but i'm kinda grungy as i had just gotten back from working:) I hope to have a launch pic after this weekend, as it's flying on my first 54mm motor, the J460T!! Thanks to the guys in the chats for putting up with me rambling on and on about it, but it pays off in the end. Enjoy!!:D

https://www.cybergatetech.com/phpgraphy/?display=Rocketry%2Fmisc%2Fdpatell%2Fmagnum%2FMAGNUM%21%21%21.jpg

The link's kind of messed up, so you'll have to copy and paste the seprate lines of the address and splice them together. I know, I'm making it difficult:)

Lookin sweet! Good luck on your flight, we gotta have more pics...... lots and lots of pics :D

-Brian Barney

Very nice...

<a target="_blank" href="https://www.cybergatetech.com/phpgraphy/?display=./Rocketry/misc/dpatell/magnum/MAGNUM!!!.jpg">Working Link</a>

You're not making it difficult... the link has so many special characters in it the forum software couldn't quite figure it out.

Justin:
I posted my launch report (CTRA-NARCONN Invitational) in the events section. It flew on a 54mm J460T to 1650' with perfect two-stage deployment. The only damage was a slight crimp in the tube and a 2" zipper on the payload section. Once again our RRC2 worked great!!

Looking forward to many flights of this bird, when i get a real job:)

Back