9.25" Diameter SuperDaddy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ_Ron

Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics of the 9.25" Super Daddy (3X Upscale Big Daddy) I built about 2 years ago...
I don't have the other construction photos anymore unfortunately...lost the hard drive they were on.
The airframe is a 30" long piece of Maximum Thrust Tubing, that was painted with Epoxy to stiffen it up. It was not 'glassed.
The Fins are 3/8" Baltic Birch, with a layer of 5.7oz Carbon Fiber.
Nosecone is a Maximum Thrust unit borrowed from Mark Clark original ThunderBall Bowling Ball rocket.
Motor Mount is a central true 4" mount, with 4-38mm outboards.
This was slated to fly on a Homebrewed 'N' motor at Balls last year, but that didn't happen...for a few reasons!
The Electronics bay is located between the top and 2nd Centering rings...the top centering ring is removeable, and the electronics, Skyward Electronics Altimeter, and a Missile Works PET for the outboards are mounted to .125" G10, and slid into slots machined in 1/2" pieces of Oak. The Oak pieces also serve as the support and mounting posts for the top Centering ring (Wish like hell I still had those pics!!)
For the first/only flight, I made a 4" to 3" adapter, and used a 3" 'M' motor I had made... Unfortunately for me, I made a miscalculation on the Nozzle throat, and the motor over pressurized and blew the nozzle. The fins, electronics, chutes were all fine, the airframe needs to be replaced, and a new MMT has already been made. A new Nosecone was made up by Bob Heninger, who made the 16" cone for the Gila Monster.
She'll fly again....just waiting for it to cool down... 110 in the garage right now...Oh, by the way, I think I set a LOW altitude record for an 'M'....the Altimeter was beeping out 136ft...

Here's the pic of her on the rail... I'm the BIG guy on the left...
check the next message for a most spectacular pic of the cato!

Here's the Cato pic...Apparently when the nozzle let go, it chattered the thrust plate on the adapter, and the motor went up the center, and the eye bolt on the forward end of the motor hit the eye bolt in the NC and severed the 2500lb Kevlar leash, which is why the two pieces are so far apart...

That Daddy is one big mamma ;) Sorry about the CATO, glad he'll fly again!

I realized that I took pics of the construction of this thing on 35mm...I have the prints...I'll have to hook up my scanner, and then post them on here...the 2-part foam thing, for those of you who haven't heard of it, or tried it, is incredible... If you looks at the Cato Photo, you'll see the airframe all by itself...no chutes or anything...this thing went up well over 100ft, and came down hard...all four fins were still SOLIDLY attached...no slop in them at all...WAY faster than using 'glass, CF, or Kevlar to reinforce the fincan, and WAY cheaper!!

Ron

O - M - G , That is awesome Ron!!! I gotta see more on the flight pics side, make sure you keep us up to date man!

Carl

Back