NYPower flights and finished Projects

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaverickLV

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well, my family and I just got back from NYPower 2002 yesterday and I have plenty of good news.

First of all, we flew T&L yet again, this time with an I300 staged to an I161. I suspect she reached about 5300' but I don't know because the altimeter swiched off on landing. No damage from the flight. But yet again the liner on the I300 split. The liner on the I161 and the I284 I used later on did not split even though they were all assembled the same way with plenty of vaseline. Yes, that's right vaseline, I forgot to pick up some high temp. grease. Please don't kill me guys!

Eclipse is finished and I will have pics tomorrow. We also flew eclipse with an I284 to 2056'. You guys just have to see this thing. It has the mirage paint, red lettering, a silver NC with silver, gold, and bronze flames blending down from it and flames around the lettering. Two weeks from now dad will go for his level two with this bird. The I284 was just a practice run.

AFA projects go, the altimeter bay is finished and I will have pics in a little while. I want to get the TN sewn first and get it attached before I take pics.

So, right now I have got nothing to build or paint....I'm bored!

Dave

That T&L is really cool. Glad you had a good time. See any interesting/unique stuff flown by others?

Arg!!! I want a T&L!!! Hey, where are the pics bud? You don't think we are letting you off that easy... :D

Vaseline works fine on o-rings. In fact, I think the Aerotech instructions say to use once the supplied grease runs out. I found some great Teflon lubricant at a hobby store -- think it was designed for gears on RC cars.

The only problem with Vaseline is that it tends to liquify in really hot weather. The Teflon grease I have does not. I bought one of the syringe-type dispensers to apply it.

Yeah, T&L is awesome!

I will have still pics later on today or this evening of T&L and Eclipse. Sorry, no flight pics, I was too busy taping the flight instead.

There was some pretty interesting "stuff" up there. I was only there for Fri. afternoon and Sat. so I didn't get to see too much great (big) stuff. This was due to the fires up in Cananda that made the skys really hazy. Any flight above 3500' was out-of-sight and so a lot of people that planned to do their lvl. 3 decided not to. Winds were also very strong at about 15 mp/h the whole day Sat.
Speaking of out-of-sight...the sustainer of T&L was out of here! Dad didn't spot it until it was 50' above the ground, about 3/4 mile down range. Still, even w/ the bad weather there were a couple of L flights, plenty of K and J flights and a lot of Hypertek J and K flights. There was also one Hypertek M1000 flight which was awesome.

Any other questions about NYPower guys?

Dave

Here is a link to the pics that Phil posted on his site (Thanx).

Pics

The pic of Eclipse is there. It was taken just before her maiden voyage on the I284. I love this motor...the flame from it was 4-5' long! You can see the excellent paint job in the photo but the pic does not do the mirage paint justice. The photo turned out darker than in real life and the hazy sky doesn't help show off the metalic flake. You just have to see it in person.

There are also some pics of T&L from club NEPRA and NYPower.

Check them out!

Dave

Back