For you pic addicts...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KermieD

Reaction score
Here's the picture of the BBX. My monitor is crap, so I can't tell if the color block black and red on the bottom half shows up at all.

NOTE: there are a couple of things here that aren't quite to scale as they should be.

1. I couldn't find anything on the dimensions of the black stripes that go on the silver at the top of the rocket, so I left those for a later date in the hopes that I find the info at some time.

2. I started measuring from the top of the rocket and I think the ratio on the N/C is too short, so the silver stripe above the upper fins is about an inch and a half shorter than it should be.

3. I sanded the leading and trailing edges on the small forward fins wrong. The trailing edge of the fins SHOULD be perpendicular to the rocket, not angled up as they are on this bird.

4. There should be another ring of silver .75" wide around the bottom of the rocket. This will get taken care of as well if this thing survives its first day of flying.

Anyway, here it is:

"Pic addicts?" HEY !!! I resemble that remark !

Looks good to me, KermieD. Good luck on your first flight.

Kermie,

Looks absoultely fantastic!!! Great paint job, nice and clean. I think you will have a memorable flight...good luck bro!

Carl

KermieD,

I think your BBX looks great. When are you going to launch and what will be your maiden flight motor?

Swimmer

Originally posted by KermieD
NOTE: there are a couple of things here that aren't quite to scale as they should be.

1. I couldn't find anything on the dimensions of the black stripes that go on the silver at the top of the rocket, so I left those for a later date in the hopes that I find the info at some time.

2. I started measuring from the top of the rocket and I think the ratio on the N/C is too short, so the silver stripe above the upper fins is about an inch and a half shorter than it should be.

3. I sanded the leading and trailing edges on the small forward fins wrong. The trailing edge of the fins SHOULD be perpendicular to the rocket, not angled up as they are on this bird.

4. There should be another ring of silver .75" wide around the bottom of the rocket. This will get taken care of as well if this thing survives its first day of flying.

Guys, is it just me or are we developing another Tulanko here? :D

Kermie, it looks great! Can't wait to see the launch pics! What are you going to fly her on?

Originally posted by Jase

Guys, is it just me or are we developing another Tulanko here? :D

Kermie, it looks great! Can't wait to see the launch pics! What are you going to fly her on?

Trust me, I'm not anywhere near Tulanko's level, nor am I going to get there for some time. I should take a picture of the work area I threw this thing together on. I think Tulanko might just keel over with a stroke.

As far as motors are concerned, I was told that what's available is the H242. RockSim says a 10 sec delay should be just about perfect for apogee deployment at about 2200 feet. Provided the rocket and my nerves survive the first flight, I'm told there are some I-357s available as well, and I got a TransBeep for just such an occasion. :D

Oh, yeah, and Carl...It's not all that clean. I took the picture from a ways away for a reason. I will be doing some touch-ups later on, but time just doesn't permit it at the moment.

Anyone know of a way you can just rent a camcorder for a day? I've got a couple of cameras, one film and one digital, but some video would sure be nice.

Do you know anyone that has a camcorder? I borrow them from friends. You could call around, people rent cell phones now, somebody may rent a camcorder.

Orrrrrr... you could go buy one, use it for the day and return it and say it just didn't meet expectations. Not exactly an honest way of doing things, but gets the job done.

Somehow, I just don't have it in me to go the buy/return route. I'd be sitting there at the return counter looking like I stole something. Any ideas of the sort of place that might rent a camcorder out?

I don't blame ya, I would have a really hard time doing that too. Although, I've thought about it many times. ;)

Try calling your local Chamber of Commerce and see if any of their member companies are in the rental business.

You could try a rental place, they are getting into more and more things now. Also, an Audio/Visual supply house might be able to help you out.

While your at it, check out the pawn shops. you never can tell.

Jason

Here's a couple of thoughts on where to find Camcorders for rent.

First I'd call my local camera stores. Seveal of them in the Cleveland area rent used camcorders. Even if they don't rent them theirself they might know about someone who's renting them in the area. It's to their advantage to encourage people to use camcorders for they're certain to get some of them to eventually buy one.

Also try your local video rental stores. One of my local video stores has been renting camcorders for years. They usually encourage you to buy blank tapes when you pick up the recorder but that's only a small inconvienence.

Ken

I'll have the choice of 2 motors at this launch. H242 or I357. In both cases, we're looking at about a 10 second delay according to RockSim.

Here's the deal:

With the H242, the ejection is a little bit after apogee. Nothing really extreme, but with all the stories I hear about Aerotech's "bonus delay", it's a matter of concern. Apogee is approx. 1700 feet.

With the I357, Rocksim has the ejection going off at 11 ft/sec upwards, making any sort of a bonus delay less of an issue. Apogee is approx 2500 feet.

I know you generally go "low and slow" if possible on a cert flight, but whaddaya think? Which one do you guys think I should go with? Any and all opinions are welcome.

Note to Phil: No, the goal of this flight is NOT to make a donation to the rocket gods. :D

Originally posted by KermieD
I'll have the choice of 2 motors at this launch. H242 or I357.

Love the I 357. A friend and I went to LDRS a few years ago, and all he could find were I357s to fly his LOC Minie Magg on.

Great flights -- it would light, and then it was at apogee!

I wanted to name it the 357 Mini Magnum, but couldn't find the Magic Marker ...

:)

KermieD,
now thats a neat rocket love the colors would love to see her go
joe

Dave,

Rocket is approx. 80" tall, 3" diameter. It weighed in at the launch at 4-1/2 lbs on the nose, including the H242 and the beeper. I think dry weight was 3lbs, 14 oz.

Joe,

Thanks! I hope to have a few better pictures of it as soon as the film comes back from the photo place. :) I'm going to be sending it off on another 242 on July 20th at the WOOSH ECOF (Eat Cheese Or Fly) launch, hopefully followed by an I357. The more I think about it, the more I think the fin damage was caused at deployment rather than upon landing. Due to the drag deployment, I had placed the chute much closer to the aft end of the shock cord than the front end, as I thought it would deploy more readily that way, as the drag wouldn't have to pull out as much shock cord. The more I looked, I saw that I had some black paint (from the fin?) on the leading edge of one of the small forward fins, so I suspect that the top half came down onto that one fin like a wrecking ball. All I have to do to rectify that is to relocate the chute towards the front end of the shock cord (now that I know the chute deploys easily and well) and all should be good. :)

KermieD,

Ohh, for a second there I thought it was a 4" kit.
I forgot you said it was a 3" kit in your thread about "Foward Fin Attachment." So I was kinda confused as to how it was getting so high on a 242. Stupid me!

Anyway, I personally like putting as much power into as possible, but I don't know the size of your field and no one knows what conditions will be like on the launch day. If the clouds are low or winds are high then you might want to go with a 242 and if winds are really high ( a lot of weathercocking) maybe a H242-S.

On the other hand...I love the flame of an I357 (Put one in T&L a couple months back) and the punch its got... but better safe than sorry. After all, better to have a successful, but short, flight, than another sacrifice to the gods or rocket-eating trees, right?

Basically, I think it comes down to field experience and what your comfortable doing in the conditions you have. Also, during the launch, watch other rockets that will get about the same altitude and see how they reacted (weathercock, drift, etc.).

Dave

Some people would recommend that you try...both of them :D

I wouldn't be overly worried about 'bonus delay'. 11 ft/sec is nothing, and even with a good Rsim of your rocket you could be off either way. Unless the H242 sim indicated a real fast deployment I wouldn't be too worried.

It happens the I357 is one of my favs. Like it better than the bigger I211's actually.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, I flew it last Sat on the 242 to be on the safe side. Worked like a charm. The size of the field isn't an issue...it's huge. Yes, there are some rocket eaters, but they're mostly climbable and can be wrestled with for the prize. I'll be going with the 357 next month. :D

Ha! So this was a test? ;)

Congrats on your success, you'll like the I357!

Originally posted by rstaff3
Ha! So this was a test? ;)

LOL...no..no test...I asked the question the day before the launch and honestly didn't expect the thread to continue. All of the input is greatly appreciated, however.

Don't forget, though...I'm STILL okay, no matter what the rest of 'em say about me! ;)

Good luck with the I357. I don't think you'll have any problems as long as the weather cooperates.

Come to think of it...You and me think quite a bit alike.

For several months before my first flight of T&L I kept debating whether to fly it safely w/ just one stage (on a 242) to test the electronics or go two stage the first time out.....Well as it turned out I decided to trash the original decision of a low, safe flight and give everyone a show. Needless to say, I changed from a single H242 to flying it with an I357 and H123.

H242 OR I357....hmmm...similar decision:D

:kill:

Sorry, just had to use this smilie. There is no point to it but it looked really kewl.:D

Dave

Back