Packing parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat3595

Reaction score
Can anybody list some sites that might be helpful in packing parachutes. I built a 4" dual deployment rocket and was able to purchase a military 66" chute. I would like some tips on packing the chute so I can be assured it will open properly on deployment.

Thanks for any help.

Is a 66" chute too large for a 4" tube. I have been ground testing my level two with the recommended charge from rocketry online info central. it calls for a 1gram charge for my main chute. I have tested it twice with 1 gram and once with 1 1/4 gram. it is approx a 10 1/2" X 4" tube. the nose comes off but the chute never clears the top of the tube. it is a dual deployment set up.

If the parachute is a military drogue, I can assume that it has a lot of shroud lines. How are you packing it?

Don't get too liberal with the gunpowder because 1gram is more than enough for the 4 X 10 1/2 space you mentioned.

Next, when ground testing the deployment, make sure the aft end of the rocket is sealed just as it would be in actual flight. In other words, if the pressure created by the ejection charge is escaping through the aft end of the rocket there certainly won't be enough to push the parachute out. Try wrapping the motor casing with just enough masking tape to make a snug fit (not a friction fit) between its outer diameter and the inside diameter of the motor mount tube for a better seal.

Back