good HPR for beginners

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloop

Reaction score
Hey. I was wondering wut is a good beginners HPR. I'm thinking about the Yank Enterprises IRIS 38mm. So.. wut you guys think is a good one?

Thanks

Well, after building Estes kits, I'd usually recommend an Aerotech kit. You've already gone straight for PML. Still, experience with different kit building techniques never hurts.

In transitioning to HPR I recommend a couple of mid-power rockets (possibly capable of H flights too), followed by any basic 38mm rocket from any one of the many vendors...PML, LOC, Binder, BSD, DG&A, Public Enemy, etc etc etc. Pick one that is appealing and in the right price range. Everyone has their favorites and on a forum like rmr you'd get a lot of varied opinions. The biggest thing is to become comfortable building with epoxy vs. yellow/white glue. (There is even debate about this, but you probably should consider epoxy for your first HPR rockets, IMHO). If you have built a couple of MPR rockets you should be able to handle a simple HPR kit also.

Other thoughts:

You want your first HPR rocket to use motor ejection, but you can certainly get one with a payload section which will let you play with electronic ejection down the road.

You also need to decide on whether you want to try HPR in 29mm or 38mm flavors. I personally like the 38mm route because there is a wider range of options, including dropping to 29mm with an adapter. You may want a nice 4" dia rocket that's about 5-6 ft long. This is a fairly respectable size and will seem large to those who are used to Estes. Typically these will fly on low H motors up to big I's, and maybe ever J's if you build carefully. Your first flights can be reasonably 'low and slow' with an option to spice the flights up.

Finally, the best way to start is to do a lot of research online, ask questions online (like you did), and even better attend a launch and talk to flyers and vendors there.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Hey there Mr. Bloop!
For an apetizer I would suggest an Areotech Initiator! It has a deliscious ejection baffel system, the fins are a snap and it can really initiate your hunger! For your next course, may I recommend the Loc Precision EZI-65? It is EZ to build and fly with the options of 29, 34 and 54mm motor power! And for your main course, a nice tasty PML amraam4 will really satisfy the hunger!! The piston adapter is a great complement to the quick switch motor system again allowing the choice of 3 motor sizes! And for that extra large apetite, a Loc Magnum makes a nice addition topped off with a dual deployment system and a stuffed electronics bay! Bon apetite! DR DON

I loved my Initiator. Nice and easy to build and will take up to a G motor.

I must concur with Dr. Don on his suggestions in his order. But I would make one replacement. I would suggest the Mirage over the Initiator. Just cause... :) Did I ever tell you guys on the forum how much I love the Mirage kit?

I have to agree that the Magnum would be the grand not-so-finale. That is one bird I am planning on building next summer and I am all giddy about it.

One thing is for sure, what ever your next rocket is, make sure you let everyone know on the forum about your experience...

:)

EEehh. I get bad vibes from Aerotech lol. I dont kno why. You guys kno any other company that sells mid-powered rockets?\

Thanks

PML, LOC, Vaughn Bros, Binder Design.....most HPR vendors also sell kits that fly on F & Gs. Look at their sites.

Go to EMRR and: 1. search for '29mm' 2. go to the recommended motors section and see what you can find.

Lots of info out there!

I don't have much experience with many of them, but I like PML a lot.

Aerotech makes great starter kits. I'm very fond of them. I have recently been introduced to PML through the AMRAAM 4. Now I can say PML and AeroTech are my favs...

Course, I aint picky...

Hey There!
I have only built and flown the Initiator and the Baracuda on
reloads up to G motors. The Kits are flawless and simple to put
together and fly. And the finishing touch of some pretty cool decals make a great show both on and off the pad.I have also witnessed the flights of almost all of Areotechs' models with no mishaps. So I would say there is no reason to be wary of Areotech. I also like the ample availability at the local Hobby
Town USA at prices cheaper than the catalog! I am tempted to pick up a "Cheetah"because it only weighs in at 10 oz where
both of mine are 14 oz. Our small club launches have to stay
under 1000 ft and weigh less than 16 oz with a motor. So
technically I can't fly my Barracuda or my Initiator. The Mustang
is an 11 oz model that is common at the model launches with
a great track record. We just have to be aware of all the rocket eating trees around the park!!!!!! DR DON

One other really good manufacturer of mid power rockets is Rocket R&D. Look for the 2.6" kits. Some great sport scale kits, and they go together easily [even though you'll be cutting your own fin slots].

It's hard to beat PML for quality kits. I personally like the Small Endeavor. The Quantum tubing airframe makes for easy finishing and this rocket being 38mm powered is small enough that it flys awesome on G engines as well.
The ariel is also a very good rocket.
LOL

I just got my first Mid power. It's a Launch Pad Sparrow. Very cool looking, but I'm a little intimidated. I haven't had to mess with superglue painting or any of that yet.

But I'll take pics and keep everyone posted. :D

Jason

Originally posted by rstaff3
In transitioning to HPR I recommend a couple of mid-power rockets (possibly capable of H flights too), followed by any basic 38mm rocket from any one of the many vendors...PML, LOC, Binder, BSD, DG&A, Public Enemy, etc etc etc.

I'm about ready to move out of Estes type power myself. I'm almost positive my next move will be the Aerotech Initiator starter kit with the RMS motors. Simply because It comes with the launch pad, launch controller and motors. Plus it looks like a well made rocket that's not too big a leap for someone at my stage of modeling experience.
I've got my eye on LV-1 certification somewhere down the road however and have been looking at HPR rockets to get the job done. I kinda like the BSD Horizon at the moment. Has anyone used this kit before? likes, dislikes??

Kevin

Back