Extreme altitude man!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a PML Cirrus for extreme altitude and was wondering if there were any good sources on the net for extreme altitude. Like how to track, how to build, etc.

There are some really good sites for Micro Beacons and Altimeters that you can use for tracking and measuring your VHA flight. Perfectflight makes the MicroAltac altimeter, which can be viewed at the following URL:

https://www.perfectflite.com/MA49AK.html

Since the Cirrus is so long, you may be able to also incorporate a scratch built micro dual deploy to keep it in the same county! :)

The MicroAltac is good but only goes to 9200 ft. That seems a bit limiting... :) But it is certainly the right size. It doesn't seem to like I, J or K motors either. The MiniAlt25K seems suited more to my needs... :)

Dual deployment doesn't sound like an option trying to keep the rocket light. I was even thinking about replacing the 18" parachute with a 20' streamer. Correct me if I'm wrong but a streamer would slow the decent without too much drift, right? The rocket is 18 - 20 oz.

You're right and wise, to inquire, study, and plan before the fact . . .
Because there's a lot more to reaching extreme altitudes with minimum diameter rockets and recovering them intact than most folks can understand.
You're going to need more than just a CPR system.
I have a PML Cirrus but haven't flown it yet. It's still in the construction stage.
I've manufactured several parts for its modification and have purchased a micro transmitter to track it with. I'll post the address of the manufacturer of that system as soon as I find it.
Thanks for your patience

Cool, thanks. Hey, can you tell a little about the modifications that you are making? Is it going to be dual deployed?

Dual deployment is an absolute necessity, even if the onboard transmitter has a (line of sight) range of 30 miles.
So far, the modifications that I have made to the rocket kit include a full glassing of the airframe, the construction of an altimeter bay exclusive to the type I plan to use, internal motor retention for any 38mm or 29mm motor, a custom made adaptor for 29mm motors, plugged forward closures for 38mm and 29mm motors, and boat-tail aft closures for 38mm and 29mm motors. Oh, I almost forgot to include the nose cone that had to be replaced. I made a new one from Black Delrin, because the fit of the original was much too sloppy.

I have manufactured one each of the aft closures, but I have some extras of the 38mm forward closures. Would you like to have one? I'll let you have it if you promise to use it in a PML Cirrus or any other Cerious rocket of minimum diameter.

Aside from all that, I've also designed a launch tower for this particular rocket and several others that are under construction.

I appreciate the offer. Hang on to them, I would hate to get them and not use them... Can you put some pics up? I would love to see them.

How would you do dual deployment and still keep the weight down? I'm still thinking a 20' streamer would bring it down fast enough to drift a little. At Whitakers where we lauch, we have a great field but it ain't 30 miles.

I thought a mini-alt, tracker, and a streamer would be the most weight I would want to put with the rocket. Does the build instructions do a good job at tellking all the steps required for extreme altitude?

Photos are unavailable at this time. However, I'll try to send scanned copies of the instructions that came with the kit I purchased.

Although I bought the kit about a year ago, you're bound to notice the date of copyright. Nevertheless, I'm certain that the good folks at PML have made numerous improvements to the kit since then.

I've also created a basic design of the rocket in RockSim 5.0 and would be only too happy to send a copy of that file at your request.

The tracking device that I spoke of, in a previous post, is manufactured by a company whose name is L. L. Electronics. These transmitters and their receiver are used, primarily, by falconers. - You know, guys and gals who hunt with predatory birds. - And there is a way to get around the business of having to get a radio operators license when using them.

I haven't been able to find the rest of the information I had promised to send, but will get it to you as soon as I can.

The attachments didn't go through. I'll try to send them to you in a private e-mail.

I would love the RockSim file. I have most of the PML rockets but I don't think that one is in there.

You can send it to [email protected]

Much thanks for all the information. When do you plan on launching your Cirrus?

Originally posted by PGerringer

How would you do dual deployment and still keep the weight down? I'm still thinking a 20' streamer would bring it down fast enough to drift a little. At Whitakers where we lauch, we have a great field but it ain't 30 miles.

Have you simmed the flights at various weights yet? I ask because I remember reading a short article (Extreme Rocketry, maybe??) about altitude record setting, and one of the points made was that most of the altitude actually comes during the coast, and the optimal weight of the rocket will likely be much higher than you might imagine. Of course, this guy doesn't do dual deployment either, but he did add half a pound of lead to one of his altitude rockets.... Anyway, it might be worth looking into, if you want this puppy to come back down in the same state! :D

Hey, I found it. It *was* ER, from their first issue, which is available for download as a pdf at this link: https://www.extremerocketry.com/magazine/pdfs/issue01_mar2000.pdf

Good luck!
Nathan

Thanks for the great link! I still haven't bought a Cirrus yet but I did pick up a VB Extreme 38. It is basically a 38mm motor tube with fins from Vaughn Brothers. It is still sitting in its bag just waiting for me to build her. That link is going to help alot. Thanks.

Originally posted by PGerringer
Thanks for the great link! I still haven't bought a Cirrus yet but I did pick up a VB Extreme 38. It is basically a 38mm motor tube with fins from Vaughn Brothers. It is still sitting in its bag just waiting for me to build her. That link is going to help alot. Thanks.

You're welcome. Just remember the ol' TRF mantra: Pics! :D

-Nathan

You'll find in most cases that with HPR rockets, you're much more likely to have to add weight to achieve the maximum altitude with a particular motor...pretty much the opposite of LPR...

Ron

You might run some optimal weight sims using the rocksim model to see if you actually need to add weight to optimize the altitude. I think some of the Tripoli altitude record holders have used dual deployment...obviously without penalty if they hold/held a record. If you need to add weight, why not go for dual deployment :) If so, the 'drogue' can certainly be a streamer. Or nothing for that matter - just let it free fall.

The Whittaker's bunch have a Walston receiver. You might check with them to see what you need on the rocket-end to make it work.

Back