Mad Cow Black Brant II 2.6”

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tronman

Dept of Redundancy Dept
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’m considering purchasing one along with the Mad Cow 29/38 motor adapter as a combo MPR/HPR to transition myself into HPR. For the motor, I’m thinking of the Aerotech 38/360 with spacers and the Aerotech EFC-1 electronic forward enclosure.

With the motor adapter, I can use a 29mm motor with my Mantis launcher, but I believe I will need rail buttons for 38mm. Is this correct? Can rail buttons and launch lugs peacefully coexist?

Hardware-wise, is there anything else that I need to consider in the move to HPR?

Nice kit! All fiberglass rocket, so it is going to be a little heavy to launch off your Mantis pad(site lists weight as 33oz, but, realistically, it will probably be closer to 40oz-or almost 4lbs)..I would go with rail buttons..You don't HAVE to use rail buttons for 38mm, but I would recommend at minimum 3/8" or 1/2" lugs if you want to go that way..

I would recommend rail buttons. I have switched to rail buttons on my rockets including my BBII partly for selfish reasons because the club rail is used much less than the launch rods so no waiting for an open pad.

I definitely want to add rail buttons, but I don't have plans to purchase a rail launcher, so I will have to launch HP with a local club. But I was hoping to also be able to use my Mantis launcher for G motors on off-club-launch days, which is why I thought of putting both rail buttons and launch lugs on the rocket.

For the lighter weight Mantis pad you might want to consider one of the nice mid power Black Brant II kits from mkadams001 above - has a really nice full body vinyl wrap that will look like a high end paint job but can be done in about 15 minutes. The cast plastic and foam filled/lined nose and tail cones are also strong and easy to finish. It has an av bay and scale antennas as well. He even has the kit in a 38mm version which he flew at NARHAM on a 29 mm G with an adaptor. I flew my 29mm version for my Level one and was well over 3,000 feet. Another nice feature on this kit is that it has fins that can be beveled, consisting of 2 pieces of basswood laminated to fiberglass, much easier to work with than the standard hardwood ply. I have actually had mine land in a rocky canyon face with out more than a minor ding to the paint. Another lighter weight and less expensive 29 mm mid power Black Brant II kit is available from Cosmodrome, but from my experience it is hardly ever in stock.

For the lighter weight Mantis pad you might want to consider one of the nice mid power Black Brant II kits from mkadams001 above - has a really nice full body vinyl wrap that will look like a high end paint job but can be done in about 15 minutes. The cast plastic and foam filled/lined nose and tail cones are also strong and easy to finish. It has an av bay and scale antennas as well. He even has the kit in a 38mm version which he flew at NARHAM on a 29 mm G with an adaptor. I flew my 29mm version for my Level one and was well over 3,000 feet. Another nice feature on this kit is that it has fins that can be beveled, consisting of 2 pieces of basswood laminated to fiberglass, much easier to work with than the standard hardwood ply. I have actually had mine land in a rocky canyon face with out more than a minor ding to the paint. Another lighter weight and less expensive 29 mm mid power Black Brant II kit is available from Cosmodrome, but from my experience it is hardly ever in stock.

When Mike's website is back up, I will take a look at the 29mm version. Sounds like a good choice. I checked out the Cosmodrome and nobody seems to have them in stock at the moment.

The Madcow kits are superb ,and the fiberglass kits are as good as they come and tough as nails.I `ve built a few and love `em .....I also bought the Madcow 4" BB II .
The Cosmodrome kit is a very,very nice kit if you can find one ,got one years ago.

There is no problem putting both lugs and buttons on the same kit.I switched over all my kits from lugs to rails ,and left the lugs on...no probs.

Paul

Yup. I've already started the next batch, once the decals are in and OK I'll have them ready.

I don`t believe it..........OH PRAISE..........

Paul

I think I`ll have all your rockets now !

Mike ,could you make a public announcement when the time comes........I really can`t miss this one ,this time !

imagesCA8X7XPB.jpg

Last edited:
Back