Hey, who's on my channel??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRIFFIN

Reaction score
How do you prevent multiple people from using the same "tracker" channels.
I also fly R/C planes and frequency conflictions are controlled with a board system.
At a large launch, Is there any rules or guidlines to help prevent "double use"

I have only been to a few large launches but it seems every time I go, I hear someone talking about 2 rockets on the same channel at the same time. One time there was a rocket stuck in a tree and it's tracker was throwing off someone elses search.

I have just purchased a tracker and look forward to many "glitch proof" recoveries (2 for 2 so far)
I just don't want to be "that guy" that can't find my rocket or be the cause of someone else having troubles.

If anyone has any input on this I would like to hear.

This is where programmable trackers have their advantage -- if I find I have a collision, I can switch it. Or, you can ask the LCO to page whoever is on frequency XYZ and talk with that person about timing.

That's where intermittent transmitters that use APRS are nice -- at AirFest, someone else was on the same frequency as I was. But, it wasn't a problem as my radio was picking up and decoding the packets from both. I just used the data from mine, and ignored the other person's.

For our local club, we maintain a list of trackers and frequencies, so we can avoid problems.

-Kevin

Board system is the easiest /best way. Some launches I go to use them, [usually large regional]but most don't..

The board when used, is by the RSO station.

It would be nice to see more clubs go that route since trackers are gaining popularity.

Another thing to do is remove batteries from your tracker as soon as you recover rocket. Others won,t be bothered that way, if on close frequencies.

Board system is the easiest /best way. Some launches I go to use them, [usually large regional]but most don't..

The board when used, is by the RSO station.

It would be nice to see more clubs go that route since trackers are gaining popularity.

Another thing to do is remove batteries from your tracker as soon as you recover rocket. Others won,t be bothered that way, if on close frequencies.

Isn't it funny that some people don't remove the battery when done. I recently had someone admit to me that they left their battery in all day at airfest, so they could deter people from using their frequency.:mad: I have a few choice names for those people.

Personally I have 2 frequencies and I turn on my receiver and if one isn't being broadcast on, I will use it. If both are taken, I wait my turn. It shouldn't have to come down to being regulated. Their is something called common courtesy. I just would hate to wait all day for one of my frequencies to open up and it never does because someone is holding onto it.

That's when you "find" that person and at first ask nicely.
Then second, make them an offer they can't refuse!

That's when you "find" that person and at first ask nicely.
Then second, make them an offer they can't refuse!

OR......wait till they fly.

Then turn yours on, put it in your car, go for a drive and watch them go in circles to find their rocket LOL!!

Back