Need a 10 ft chute for Level 3 project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Where can I get a 10ft parachute for a Half Scale Patriot for a Level 3 project. I am looking for a Military Surplus parachute, I do not want to break the bank on just a parachute. I know military chutes are very strong.

I know others will echo this sentiment. Don't skimp on your recovery on something as important as an L3 certification flight! A good parachute will set you back about $150-170. It is well worth it. Just put it into perspective.

Airframe/Kit~$350
Motor and/or hardware~$250 minimum
Electronics~$180+

Not including misc. items you are putting at least $600-700 in the air. Is it worth it to risk that on a cheap parachute? I don't think so.

Check out these manufacturers for some high quality, appropriate chutes.

www.topflightrecoveryllc.com least expensive option still good chutes though
www.spherachutes.com good middle of the road pricing
www.fruitychutes.com great chutes and you get what you pay for

Of course there are always Skyangle and Rocketman but I don't use them so I can't say anything about them.

Also I don't think you will find a military surplus chute in that size.

Hope that helps!

After seeing Andrew's post last night, I did some searching around, and it seems everyone is out of the 10ft surplus chutes. ARR, Aerocon, Military Surplus, etc... no one seems to have 10' chutes in stock.

I think the opinions offered above to either shell out for a 'good' chute, or borrow one from a fellow flier are the best bets at this point.

R

+1 for Aerocon Systems. While I am sure that all the others make fine chutes, I trust mil. spec. over anybody elses good idea. I have never had an Aerocon surplus chute fail and have always been happy with them.

Some folks just like to spend more money for the same thing. Makes 'em feel better. I always try to pay the least possible for the same item, but for many, a lower price indicates lower quality. Quality is best judged independent of price.

About a year ago, I bought a white 17-foot military surplus parachute at a Military Surplus store in Wilmington, NC for 30.00. They chute was like new in the deployment bag. They had three or four of them at the time.

Why not go for multiple chutes, like 3 Aerocon 60" whiteys? There's lots of info on packing and lanyard lengths, it would cost you under $50, and give one helluva' deployment.

I've had excellent success with these, L1, and L2 both on the 60's, and a recent flight on duel 60's.

It is an L3 flight, so at least have some fun with it!

Cheers,

PT

ROCKETRY-14.jpg

Back