Screw Switch for arming electronics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Hey I am looking for switches for altimeters used for dual deploy. I have use the screw switch from Binder Design that is around $8. I am wondering if there is anywhere on the web that sells the same or similar kind of switch for cheaper?

Something similar...and cheaper ;)

But, really? The 'twist and tape' method works well for me..Twist the leads from the switch terminal together, wrap with tape and then tape to the side of the rocket...

I have used the ones from Newton's 3rd and have had two fail on me. Both seemed to work great for a while, then I started getting poor connection. In Newtons 3rd dense, I may have screwed them down too far while arming and one of the switches went through a pretty bad crash???

I ordered a couple of the switches from https://www.doghouserocketry.com/ and so far so good (only two launches). I also like the twist method that Jon mentioned- just make sure your altimeter is compatible with this method.

Anybody have any pictures of the featherweight installed in a rocket?

I'm assuming your asking about featherweight's screw switch. I just used one on a rebuilt e-bay.

I drilled two holes in a small block of wood for the wires and epoxied it to the sled. I also needed to drill a cavity in the wood for the nut on the back of the printed circuit board. After soldering the wires to the switch I epoxied it to the wood block. I've attached some pics to better illustrate.

RandyL

DSC02078.JPG

DSC02079.JPG

Another vote for the Featherweight Screw switch--simple, light, easy to mount, works every time. And, just saw a fellow club member demo the new magnetic switch yesterday, and that is SLICK.

I drilled two holes in a small block of wood for the wires and epoxied it to the sled. I also needed to drill a cavity in the wood for the nut on the back of the printed circuit board. After soldering the wires to the switch I epoxied it to the wood block. I've attached some pics to better illustrate.

RandyL

I had an old Radio Shack circuit board laying around, some old wire and spent a dollar or two on brass screws and nuts. I was able to make 6 switches similar to these. Simple, reliable, and less then $0.50 each.

Back