PDA

View Full Version : 29mm VonKarmen Nose cone

Neutron95
25th August 2010, 02:22 AM
I am working on a high altitude 29mm rocket. It will be spending a significant portion of its flight at mach (CTI I224 staging to another I224) and I have been looking for a commercially available one. Failing that what is the standard procedure for making composite nose cones. This will be my first major composite layup, but I will have lots of help from my dad who has done a good amount of work with them. PS this rocket should fly at Plaster Blaster and could set the staged J record. Thank you.

tsai
25th August 2010, 03:02 AM
I am working on a high altitude 29mm rocket. It will be spending a significant portion of its flight at mach (CTI I224 staging to another I224) and I have been looking for a commercially available one. Failing that what is the standard procedure for making composite nose cones. This will be my first major composite layup, but I will have lots of help from my dad who has done a good amount of work with them. PS this rocket should fly at Plaster Blaster and could set the staged J record. Thank you.

Sounds like quite the challenge. The smallest commercial VK I know of is 38mm.

Over on Rocketry Planet, someone recently posted a quickie getting started guide: http://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7178

Just a quick rules reminder: Don't forget to get your L2 cert ahead of time. Cert flights are required to be single stage, so this can't be used as your L2 flight.

Good Luck!

Neutron95
25th August 2010, 03:06 AM
I will be building and prepping it, but my dad will fly it as he is a L2. I am currently 15 and so I need to wait 3 more years before L2.

tsai
25th August 2010, 03:18 AM
I will be building and prepping it, but my dad will fly it as he is a L2. I am currently 15 and so I need to wait 3 more years before L2.

That's cool. Wish my dad were into it when I was your age. I saw the Jr. L1, and thought you might be going BIG for the L2.

A cert flight is just another rocket flight in my book. The only reason to "play it safe" in my book is if you only have 1 rocket available. My first L2, I flew a dart with a simulated altitude of ~8000. Had a motor CATO, and no other rocket on hand as a backup plan. :(

Next time out, I brought 6 rockets which could take J motors, though 2 of them I would be hesitant to fly with a J. Armed with an extensive backup plan, of course the first flight was perfect. :rolleyes:

bandman444
25th August 2010, 04:16 AM
I bet you can talk to Sandman about making you one

Pantherjon
25th August 2010, 04:34 AM
I don't know about that..A VK cone is kind of a tricky shape to mold,especially one that small..But what do I know? I just use the stuff and not make 'em!;)