Republic-Ford JB-2 "Buzz Bomb"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my Vostok by Noris. 1:60 scale. Super-duper detailed. IT WILL NEVER FLY! :) Too much blood, sweat and tears went into it.
Hello from Brisbane, Australia.
I love how you used paperclips as part of the details. Throw in a composite motor and light it. That rocket deserves to break the surely bonds of Earth, at least one time.​

I don't know if there were any 40 year old fighter pilots flying active combat back then as I suspect the military felt it was a "young man's game".
I can't remember how old "Pappy" Boyington was during his "black sheep" era, but he was already thought to be past his prime as a fighter pilot, and yet he scored more confirmed kills than anyone else.

This came up in my local town's thread... Looks like they were using a V-1 / Republic-Ford JB-2 to help recruit soldiers during ramp up to Korean War...
Interesting note: I used to live in Jersey City -- the Lowes Theater in that photo still stands today and is a historic landmark now run by volunteers. They show classic movies and they even still have the Pipe Organ for the silent movies.

I can't remember how old "Pappy" Boyington was during his "black sheep" era, but he was already thought to be past his prime as a fighter pilot, and yet he scored more confirmed kills than anyone else.
He was 31 when he took command of Marine fighter squadron VMF-214 "Black Sheep Squadron.​
Boyington shot down 14 enemy fighter planes in 32 days. By December 27, 1943, his record had climbed to 25.​
On January 3, 1944, he beat World War I ace Eddie Rickenbacker's record of 26 enemy planes destroyed, before Boyington was shot down, though his last two kills for a total of 28 were confirmed after his return.​

I've heard a small pulse jet. I got as close as I cared to, but that was still too far away to see it. I wonder if Hanna Reisch ever heard anything again after flying the piloted version of the buzz bomb.

At the first Maker Faire in NYC, one of the displays was a carnival ride called "Jet ponies", which were pulse-jet-powered that went around in a big circle like a merry-go-round. People got on them, were donned in ear protection and goggles, and rode for about 3 minutes at a time. Near the end of the day, I am walking back to my car, which was parked over 2 miles away, I and could still hear the Jet Ponies ride.

The individual responsible for this travesty was a guy named "Hacker", he was a contestant on Junkyard Wars (on Discovery Channel), but I cannot remember the name of the group he was part of... Brooklyn Something or other.

Back