1/10 Sport-Scale Nike Hercules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may redesign the transition between the booster and sustainer. The one I have printed is too sudden of a transition, rather than the more gradual one on the real missile.

I did a little rough modeling, and have a transition that I am more happy with, it's the bottom image:
1716989462184.png

I will print it later this week. I still need to fiberglass the fin roots onto the outer booster tubes, and add some small fillets between the tube joints.

I have close to the final mass and center of gravity of the sustainer. it looks like with all of the nose weight I was able to cram into it, a J will be too heavy in the back, so the biggest motor I can do is an I. I don't fully trust the simulation CP, as the fins are based on transitions, and I am not confident that I have the exact fins modeled correctly. I will have the first flight of the sustainer be a 'heads up' flight, and put plenty of margin on the stability.

I am less concerned about the two-stage stability, as the booster is oversized, and it has much more stability margin there.

Latest posts

Back